Menu
Why do Chinese students fear their teachers?
Apr 24, 2007 05:06
  • JIMMYB
According to my experience, Chinese students usually fear their teachers or rather Chinese teachers behaved in an authorized way to frighten their students, especially those primary school teachers.
In my early memory, our primary school teachers were the most frightening teachers among all the teachers who had taught me. Cos they always held a ferule in the hand and beat it with strength on the blackboard. What's the relationship between TEACHERS and STUDENTS in foreign countries?
Apr 24, 2007 16:04
  • SANYACHINA
Watch "DANGEROUS MINDS (1995)" and you will see.
Apr 24, 2007 16:25
  • SANYACHINA
Here you can see how they do not respect the elders, in this case the school-bus driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRaY5LVkCeU&NR=1
Apr 25, 2007 00:13
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
In the real world, yes, teachers in other countries do face problems, just like teachers in China, but, to answer the real question:

Teacher-student relationships in New Zealand are generally about mutual respect and can even be quite friendly. NZ teachers do not like to instill fear in their students. There are of course strict boundaries, and the teacher must remain an authority figure, but you don't win the students' respect by frightening them into submission. You when their respect by encouraging them.
Apr 25, 2007 01:08
  • BBQQ
I don't think Chinese students do fear their teachers. Maybe pupils are. But not middle school or university students.
Apr 28, 2007 04:16
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hmm... when I was in Grade 8, my classmates were really *bad*. At the time I attended a private French school. I was a good student, but some of my classmates played so many games with teachers that ended in yelling, door slamming, swearing, even one teacher getting fired. The students knew exactly how to press the teacher's buttons -- if one was a devout Catholic, they would challenge her beliefs until she was infuriated, then we would waste the whole class arguing with her about religion. It was very entertaining to watch. One time, one of my teachers (a normally classy, patient guy) told a student to take his <expletive> Playboy shirt and get the hell out of class. For some reason, that class was especially bad, and the teachers didn't seem to have much power. I think a lot of students had redneck parents... :-(

After Gr.8 though, my high school classes and university classes were generally conducted in an atmosphere of respect and even friendship between the teachers and students. I had a professor in university who was super smart (went to Princeton and Oxford) and I could find him in his office and have conversations with him about personal things. That's one of the reasons I really like professors. They're some of the smartest people around, and they can have a lot of wisdom to share too with their students.
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese students fear their teachers?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code