Menu
Internet cafes & WiFi connections
Apr 30, 2007 17:18
  • GRIZ326
I am a bit wary of connecting to the Internet from a cafe using one of the cafe's computers to buy airline tickets from TCG; keystroke loggers on a public computer are my prime concern.

*** Could I connect to their network with my own computer using wireless (802.11b/g)???

*** Do universities have wireless internet access available?

*** Will I get arrested for hacking if I use any open network???

Guangzhou, Nanning, Guiyang, Chengdu, Xian are the places I will need to connect from...

Maybe I'll be the first warez-driver in China ;)
May 1, 2007 09:49
  • APAULT
I was wary about net bars but they seem to be cleaned up on every log off and physical power off. It doesnt mean that such hacking is impossible but I think the risk is not too great.

Not all unis have wireless.... my guess is few do based on some recent enquiries I made.

I doubt you woud get arrested.... there are no police cars avaialable as they are all to busy carrying police families to school, work , restaurants etc. :)
May 1, 2007 11:40
  • GRIZ326
There is nothing you can say that will deter my concern over keystroke loggers, Paul. Network security is my job; my company's analysis indicates China seeds the Internet with malicious activity, primarily because of poorly configured computers open to exploitation. ...but there are also some brilliant hackers in China and keystroke loggers are readily available.

So focusing my question a bit more:

Do the internet cafes create "hot spots" for Internet connectivity?

Or do they only offer hard-wire Internet connections?
May 1, 2007 11:47
  • GRIZ326
...heaven's...I just read my post and it has a GRUMPY tone. My apologies, it was not intended, but the post certainly came out GRUMPY!

:)
May 1, 2007 19:42
  • WCTMAN
Too funny. Yes, I get the same impression here in Xi'An about the police. Always 4 or 5 guys in a marked van, parked in alleyways, having a smoke, staying out of harms way. Or, driving friends around town. You see people get out of police cars / vans with shopping bags. haha.
May 1, 2007 23:51
  • GRIZ326
hehehehe...I'm not certain I get your meaning WCTMAN...unless you are saying the police are grumpy like my first post this morning.
May 2, 2007 00:04
  • APAULT
Hey Griz. I cannot answer the tech questions, but I agree about poor security. In my college, I was repeatedlt receiving viruses... internally. I worked out where from..the main admin building, but the IT section said that there was nothing they could do, just make sure my anti virus s/w was switched on! If you chat with Chinese you will find that they are often chatting from the workplace and install whatever s/w they feel like.

The basic IT standards are low, but as u say, there is a minority who are brilliant.
May 2, 2007 06:09
  • WCTMAN
No worries, Griz. The "too funny" comment was not in any way directed at you. I just caught on to the reference about the police, and had to add my own two cents worth.
May 8, 2007 04:04
  • JABAROOTOO
You'll have to excuse my lack of technology terminology and the rest.

Universities and schools in China have the worst internet access imaginable and security..............Well say that with tongue in cheek. Everything goes through the faculty LAN and is probably monitored. Many of my friends comment on things they notice. For my firsthree yearsin China I used school computers and the junk, viruses etc was incredible. So I suggest in large cities the cafe's and otherwise hotels where you are staying.

Good luck
May 8, 2007 17:12
  • GRIZ326
Thanks for all of the information everyone. Since I am a networking guy, I'll write up a little something about connecting in China when I am back...or maybe while I'm there if I can get connected.

:)
May 11, 2007 05:03
  • BETWEENUS21
in china, internet cafes are available almost every corner and usually packed with people - playing pc games more so than truly surfing the net.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Internet cafes & WiFi connections
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code