Menu
Internet cafes & WiFi connections
May 22, 2007 08:26
  • KODAXED
I just want to ask when In china where is the Safest place to buy Airline tickets and the like if not on the internet seeing as from what your saying that online security in China Sucks Please excuse the Phrase? Sorry if this is off topic guys
May 22, 2007 11:36
  • GRIZ326
The security of an Internet SSL connection is for all practical matters unbreakable. You should see a little lock in the footer of your browser confirming the SSL connection. I believe the TCG site uses SSL, but the system is busy as I write this, so I could not confirm that.

The danger is in a keystroke logger which can capture your username/password and creditcard information. The technology is available all over the Internet. I would bet most of the Internet cafes are honest shops, but I would also bet they don't lock down computers tight enough to prevent a young computer geek from installing a keystroke logger. BTW - This is probably true of Internet cafes with shared computers the world over...not just China.

This is why I am bringing my own wireless computer to China this year.

I promise to write a article on the security of internet cafes around China when I return. I might even post an interim article based on what I see in Guangzhou. So I'll probably post the first short piece the first week of July - IF - I find time to do it. I hope that will not be too late for your needs.
May 24, 2007 12:27
  • HELLOTHEERE
A new free service, available at http://kyps.net , enables you to log into hotmail, yahoo mail, google mail, and others, without disclosing your password to the computer you are using.
May 24, 2007 15:47
  • GRIZ326
Actually, HelloTheeere, that site was blocked as a hazard when I tried to look at it. I believe it is a phishing site designed to steal your personal information.
May 24, 2007 17:40
  • GRIZ326
I checked my company's black list of hostile URLs for kyps.net. It was not listed, but that doesn't mean it is a safe site.
May 24, 2007 22:15
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Yes, Griz, our site uses SSL.
Jun 10, 2007 04:41
  • HELLOTHEERE
Hi again, I would like to assure you that http://kyps.net is not a malicious site. (I can tell because I am running it!)

Best Regards,
Andreas
Jun 10, 2007 05:15
  • APAULT
While I agree with Griz that there is a risk in net bars the reality is that it is small. Computer geeks do not use net bars nor are there many serious net users- they are full of games players and a few chatters mostly using QQ. Also there is hardly any onl;ine banking in China. Therefore it is pretty pointless trying to capture information at netbars...it is rarely being input.

As an extra comment I had assumed net bars would be a good place to go if I needed help...all those young educated people. Forget it! It is rare to find anyone who can speak English...these are the kids that play and chat rather than study.
Jun 10, 2007 11:55
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, Paul,
You right. Some time boys and girls fight in the cafe. It's problems for the seniors.
Specially for the Foreigner
Jun 10, 2007 18:17
  • GRIZ326
I'm looking forward to checking all of this out first hand.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Internet cafes & WiFi connections
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code