Menu
Why are people still wearing long sleeves?
May 5, 2007 09:02
  • JINGLEBELLS
its my second day in china and the whether was hotter than i've anticipated. The whether forecast said its 28 degrees, but it felt more like 40. I don't understand how all these chinese are still wearing jeans and long sleeves, some even jumpers. i wore a singlet yesterday and for the first time felt conscious of my assets (some stared blatantly) so today i'm submitting to the culture standards and wore a t-shirt and jeans while sweating like a pig. .. arhh...
May 5, 2007 09:15
  • APAULT
Maybe they have heard about skin cancer!

But I agree with you, the Chinese are happy to wear heavy jeans all summer! At the moment in 30 plus degrees many men are still wearing long johns!

Singlets are not normally worn outside except perhaps by a few workers.

The south is more western in dress style than the north. Anyway, you can wear shorts without any problem, this is not an issue. If u r female though, you should wear a bra and not show too much breast/cleavage, unless u want to be looked at ... but I dont think anyone will actually complain if u do.
May 5, 2007 17:13
  • WCTMAN
The ability of the locals to endure what I consider to be stifling heat has been a mystery to me too these past couple of years. Jeans, long sleeve shirts, sometimes even light jackets are worn seemingly throughout the year. Perhaps it has to do with body mass, or some sort of body fat ratio, who knows? All I know is that when I am sweating hard in a tshirt and shorts, doing all I can to avoid any unnecessary exertion, the locals are hauling bricks, cooking noodles, riding bikes and generally doing what they do all day long seemingly without any major overheating problems. I wish I knew their secret.
May 5, 2007 19:51
  • MAY001
Maybe becasue of the body shape of most of Chinese. Most of us are slim, thus less sweaty. LoL
May 6, 2007 12:00
  • JABAROOTOO
It's more to do with keeping the skin white. I've just come back from northwest Sichuan where some of the men were almost black and proudly shirtless dispite the almost freezing temperatures but many people consider this colour skin to belong to the poorer class of citizen.

It has been and still is fashionable for the 'upper class' if I can use that term to bleach thier skin.

Just today in high 20's almost 30 degree temperatures I asked two ladies in long sleeves and jackets if they were not a little hot. Thier reply 'of course not....' One of them had skin I colour of chocolate that I would envied, rich and brown from years of working in the outdoors. My fair skin burns after just 15 minutes in intense sun.
May 6, 2007 21:16
  • VIOLET316
The most important reason is we are afraid of the sun,you know the sunshine is so strong that it can make our skin black.
May 7, 2007 05:27
  • LIZXLI
For some people,they stay in office for a long time under COLD WEATHER created by ari conditioner.So it seems necessary to wear...
May 7, 2007 21:17
  • APAULT
I have to correct myself a bit as I made a point of looking for singlets. I notice that even in the fairly non fashion city there are a few men and young women wearing fashion singlets, though I would say the women's are a little less brief than I am used to in Sydney.
May 8, 2007 09:43
  • JINGLEBELLS
hey ,, i'm from melbourne
May 14, 2007 21:26
  • JENDY
OK,

We're going to China beginning Sept, 4 weeks, info from agent says jeans for men, no shorts for woman. I'm going to cook, what really is the go for clothing.
May 15, 2007 03:54
  • APAULT
Your agent is not entirely correct...short shorts are worn by quite a few girls here - though you will not see many in the out of the way places. Boys wear basketball shorts and other semi-shorts that are fashionable elesewhere at the moment. There are plenty of these on sale everywhere I have been...so no need to stick with jeans -you will cook in them! Personally I like shorts that are well above my knee and wear them through the hot weather, no -one complains. However I cannot buy any here: I had to bring Chinese made shorts from Oz! (if I need more I will buy long daks (trousers to the English, pants to Americans) and have them cut down and rehemmed at a roadside stall.

Like we said before, don't overexpose the breasts unless u want to be stared at rather than looked at, and you can wear Tshirts and singlets subject to the overexposure 'rule'. A few oldies may look aghast...but what's new?!!! Young people will come and chat - you can be sure of that>
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why are people still wearing long sleeves?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code