Menu
Should Golden Week be Cancelled or Changed?
May 6, 2007 22:12
  • MAY001
This May Holiday is the 20th Golden Week of China and 'terrible' scenes can be seen everywhere.
May 1, hundred thousands of people swarming in Tiananmen Square, Beijing. At that day, over 50 kids were lost and many adults also couldn't find their companions.

May 6, 2007 22:16
  • MAY001
The original idea of Golden Week must be boost the economy of China. More people have holidays to travel around and shopping, more money are earned.

Nanjing Lu, Shanghai

May 6, 2007 22:23
  • MAY001
So many people came out and traveling in and around the cities, mountains, beaches, historical sites, and even deserts. Traffic problems and accommodation problems were soon coming.

Taimu Shan, Fujian

May 6, 2007 22:27
  • MAY001
What should we do? Cancel the Golden Week or change it to let everyone enjoy, but not afflict, the holiday?

A bookstore in Chongqing

May 7, 2007 01:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes,
May it is a bit of a dilema. I spent most of this holiday well away from the 'maddening crowds' but the extra cost of inflated prices for gate tickets and accommodation and limited seats on public transport are always issues during these holidays.

While 20 years ago these holidays was a wonderful way to stimulate the economy, more and more people are able to move around and there is simply no way the environment, transport and general facilities can adequately accommodate so many people on the move at any one time.

It would be rather nice to have a holiday on May first or October first to celebrate these special days and allow all citizens to choose another time to take the other days as holidays. this would spread the load throughout the year and help to keep colsts down for many who really cannot afford sometimes rediculously inflated prices.

I think making money has been the driving force for many and this often spawns an attitude of greed, of always wanting more. I'm sure there will be lots of resistance to changing these holidays as they have become a huge 'cash cow' for many but if they could only see that thier income could be the same only spread more evenly throughout the year.

I certainly don't envy the government in making changes, but like many others I don't really enjoy traveling during these times and certainly try to stay right away from the big attractions.
May 8, 2007 19:55
  • TRAVELDREAM
I would suggest different people have golden week at different time.
May 9, 2007 20:34
  • BBQQ
It's impossible. Even now, many people still can't enjoy the free days of golden weeks. They must work for extra time and have no extra pay at all. What will happen if the Golden Weeks cancelled someday? More and more people can't have holidays! If it is not a fixed legal holiday, many companies and bosses would never let people have holidays!
May 9, 2007 21:03
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
"I would suggest different people have golden week at different time. "
Yes Traveldream, i can't agree with you more! : )
May 10, 2007 20:41
  • KEVIN0518
Well, it is rreally a good idea. However, it is hard to operate.
May 27, 2007 01:29
  • ELLEN77
The crowd is really terrible. I feel released now for staying in for the holiday.
The Golden Week Holiday should really be changed now, perhaps more legal holidays can be put into pratice.
Nov 27, 2007 18:39
GUESTEASY It is unnecessary to cancel the Golden Week.People need to relax under the rapid wheel of the society,to students,especially for university students,the Golden Week can provide a spectacular advantage for the job after their graduation,
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should Golden Week be Cancelled or Changed?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code