Menu
Coffee and Toilet Paper
May 9, 2007 06:07
  • PETERSEAFORD
G'day everybody I have a friend just back from a most enjoyable holiday in China.
as i am planning a trip i was interested to hear from her that coffee is not available in hotel rooms - tea is- and that toilet paper is not always available.
was this just her experiance or is that something i must plan to include in my luggage for my trip.

regards peter
May 9, 2007 10:15
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes, always carry a supply of paper as most public toilets do not supply paper although you can sometimes buy it at the door as you pay for the use of the toilet. 0.3 to 0.5 of a yuan is the going rate. Any more is of course usery.

If you need a coffee starter then yes take your own. You'll probably only get it at 5 star international hotels, certainly not many of the Chinese chains. Tea is not always available but I'm sure the hotels you are staying at will have at least this. Some rooms have kettles/electric jugs while others supply a thermos of hot water. If you are making coffee just check that the water is hot enough before pouring in your coffee.
May 9, 2007 21:23
  • DAVEC
Toilet paper is a must take for your trip, take a spare roll and a backup for the spare roll. As for coffee I found my hotels all had sachets of coffee but with whitener in so if like me you prefer black coffee again take your own.
May 9, 2007 22:27
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
I can go without coffee but being without toilet paper is about one of the worse things that can happen to a traveler anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, in many places in China one cannot always find a person willing to sell you a few sheets let alone a clean toilet.

Over time, I have come to learn to bring my own. I bring those pre-moistened cloths that have a resealable flip. I think they come 100 in a pack. I bring a couple packs for a trip of three to four weeks and they work out great, doubling as nice soothing wipes for the humid summer weather. Don't leave home without them!

老汉Rick
May 10, 2007 01:33
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
If you are going to visit the cities, go to Mc and KFC. They can provide western style toilet. Most of modern shopping malls and restaurants also can provide clean washrooms.
May 10, 2007 10:11
  • GRIZ326
You can get some great coffee in China for about $12USD/100RMB a cup!

Here's my coffee story: I was almost out of money when I ordered a cup of coffee in a little coffeehouse...and thought I would be washing dishes to pay for the coffee.

...but you will be in China, enjoy the tea.
May 10, 2007 22:34
  • APAULT
Wow that's expensive coffee...must be an international hotel.

Personally I travel with some pre mixed nescafe, milk and sugar powder...either bought as such or I make up my own, with a decent amount of sugar in it.

And of course you are just not properly dressed if you don't carry some tissues of some sort.

And the beer is cheap - except in bigger restauarants.
May 11, 2007 06:38
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks very much everybody - these things never jump to mind when i pack for a holiday but your tips would not go astray on any holiday.

regards and thanks again

peter
May 12, 2007 08:16
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Peter,

For a really nice DIY coffee, you could try this.
Before you leave buy a small all in one cup/plunger (see photo) any good store at home sells them. Mine is by Culinare
Bring a pack of expresso ground coffee, powdered milk and sugar sachets if you need them.

May 13, 2007 08:58
  • CALIFYRMAN
Leaving in two weeks, our first trip off of the continent. Will I be able to buy toilet paper and wet wipes when I get to China, or do I need to pack these items?

I would appreciate any information. Thanks.
May 13, 2007 09:20
  • JABAROOTOO
Buy them here in any supermarket but bring a small supply just in case you don't get chance to get to a supermarket.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Coffee and Toilet Paper
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code