Menu
Can I see Shilin in 1 day?
May 13, 2007 03:23
  • DAVEC
I will be visiting Shilin to see the stone forest. is it a large area and can I see it in 1 day? or is it too large and I should stay overnight?
May 13, 2007 22:48
  • MAY001
Of course you can. It's not that large.
May 14, 2007 04:59
  • JABAROOTOO
Well,
There are in fact several very large areas of Stone Forest, each one slightly different. But the one that is the most famous and open to the public the longest is certainly doable in a day. Try to go it alone as the tours take all day to get there and rush you around to all nmanner of other places liketea tastings (all very well if it the one and only one of you visit) and souvenir stalls etc. Be aware that it is extremely popular so try to avoid weekends and other public holidays.

You can take the train out there and back. No need to spend the night but there is accommodation nearby if necessary. If you make some more enquiries you may get some information on the other lessor known ones which could be just as interesting, less crowded and cheaper to visit????

Let's see if anyone can help out!
May 14, 2007 23:44
  • SAYHITOANT
I will be going with my friend to Yunnan early next month. He heard from friends that Shilin is over-rated and is not really a must see in Kumming. I have seen pictures of Shilin and it appears that it may be true. We are considering whether to skip this tourist attraction.

Would appreciate if those who have visited Shilin share their views. Thanks.
May 15, 2007 02:26
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i can confirm that unlike some stone forests in Gansu for example that offer some wild nature and trekking possibilities, Shilin is more of a park ... and filled with swarms of tourists, and stalls of ethnic dressing girls offering photo service. Also difficult to be inspired for photography.
May 15, 2007 04:50
  • DAVEC
Thanks for everyones comments, I get the impression Shilin is just a tourist spot and maybe not for me. So, is there anywhere else that will give me similar views of this type of landscape?
May 23, 2007 00:29
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
IMHO, Shilin is over-rated. It's a full day that I would reserve for some other visit in Yunnan province, like Dali, Lijiang or surround villages.

I also recall that the tour bus spent quite a bit of time at some tea museum or tea pot factory on the way back. That sort of ruins the day for me and makes it that much longer. Happy traveles.

李察
May 23, 2007 03:26
  • BBQQ
Yes, according to my last trip to Shilin and Kunming, it's better for you to avoid it cos it's too commercial and over-crowded.
May 23, 2007 03:30
  • DAVEC
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will look at somewhere else to spend a day
May 23, 2007 09:53
  • JABAROOTOO
Have a look at Xingyi on the border with Guizhou. While it is on the train line to Kunming it is more remote, also has interesting minority groups and the country is similar to Guilin/Yangshuo. Maling Gorge was worth the visit. Just take an umbrella or raincoat as it's pretty wet.

Read my review Glimpses of Guizhou for more details and google online
Post a Reply to: Can I see Shilin in 1 day?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code