Menu
Are Chinese women told to marry?
May 14, 2007 02:54
  • DAVEC
Can I ask if Chinese women are taught to get married as soon as they find a man? The reason I ask is all my Chinese female friends got married soon after returning to China, my Chinese girlfriend was always asking to get married and when I visited her family they all asked when we are getting married. Is it your culture to marry as soon as you find a suitable man?
May 14, 2007 04:15
  • RITA
FYI:

As long as the woman believes that she's found the right man, she wants to get married if it is practically passible, I mean if the couple live not too far to get married, or there are no other taboos for the couple to get married, hmm, such as one of the couple's close ralitives passed away not long ago.

Of course, what i am talking about is just tradition.

If you refuse to marry the woman who believes that you are her lifelong partner, it means (to her) that you are still open to more options which makes her feel unsafe in this relationship, she may get depressed and doubt about your feelings for her.

Anyway, what are you waiting for?? :))
May 14, 2007 04:31
  • DAVEC
I am not sure if other men agree with me but in the west if a woman starts talking about marriage when they have only known you for 1 week it is worrying. Men get scared. I was just asking so I can try to understand.
May 14, 2007 04:52
  • KATRINA
In parents' eyes, Getting married late is not very good.
May 14, 2007 07:34
  • JABAROOTOO
There is traditionally a lot of pressure on getting wed at a young age. As marriages were 'arranged' until fairly recently, past 50 years the family still has a lot of input and it is not uncommon for parents and other well meaning friends to introduce young people to potential partners.

But modern Chinese of marriageable age prefer to wait awhile, and establish careers while they look for someone who can provide the financial and emotional security they are looking for. Having a good job and money (or at least appearing to have these) will make you very eligible.

There is a lot of divorce, infidelity and unhappy spouses despite what you may have heard to the contrary.
May 14, 2007 07:34
  • JABAROOTOO
PS Pressure is on both men and women alike
May 14, 2007 16:45
  • GRIZ326
It was not all that long ago that a father could send his daughter off to be a concubine in exchange for riches or arrange a marriage with a rich man's son for the same net.

Why Chinese girls are so eager to marry is a mystery to me, but perhaps it has to do with the morality now absent in the west.
May 17, 2007 11:57
  • LIONPOWER
Chinese girls press hard to marry cause, in Chinese society, specially in the village side, unmarried mother is very hated thing.
May 20, 2007 10:11
  • APAULT
Many have the idea that the first boy/girl they will meet they will marry. Most do not want to goout and meet a few taht they might select from. So once met and bf/gf status is recognised and parents informed (often quite later) marriage is th next step. Most dont seem to be pushed into erarly marriage but parents and girls too, seem worried about being 'left on the shelf'. On the other hand the educated town youngsters conside under 23 rather young.
May 23, 2007 04:52
  • DAVEC
I think from my experience that the women make up their minds very quickly that either this is the one or he will do before they really have time to find out. I know that 2 of my chinese friends are not happy in their marriage but they continue because their parents like the bloke.
May 23, 2007 11:49
  • LIONPOWER
marriage should be decided by boys/girls, not by the parent.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese women told to marry?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code