Menu
American seeking work in China...where do I start?
Oct 3, 2007 10:28
GUEST59171 I am a canadian and have a TESOL certificate and have some offers of employment to teach. I am now finding that to work i n shanghai witha zclass visa you need to have a bachelors degree. are there any ways around this and how risky is it to use a replica diploma for visa aplication?
Oct 4, 2007 01:02
  • CLAUDIUS
Best to find a trustworthy American or Canadian or even European who has been in one of the major cities in China for a couple of years (and who is serious about establishing a career there as well!), get a ticket and visa and stay with this fellow for say, about 2 months, travel around and meet more expats. I say you will have a much much better idea of what you can do after that. After all, if you plan to work in China for a while, what is a 2-month investment. Please do not consider starting up a business first, without knowing what you're getting into, it is perhaps the most risky decision in your entire life (besides marriage).
I started up my business, in 2003 in Shanghai, the myriad of rules and tapes in setting up a business operation is enough to give me a mental block on the most important aspect on what a businessman should have, a business sense. I had my first project only 9 months later, 4 months after the SARS outbreak.
Oct 4, 2007 12:30
  • APAULT
GUEST59171. I have met a UK teacher working in a college who was able to enter on a Z visa. I don't know how he did it but he said he felt the school thought he had a degree. That doesn't answer how he got the visa as the Chinese authorities need to see a photocopy of a degree certificate ( even though I recollect that in the UK there are/were many non degree teachers who attended Teacher Training College and were qualified to teach but were not awarded degrees, so I guess they are generally excluded despite their experience).

Anyway you might have noted that I said they need a PHOTOCOPY of a degree, and I know this because a previous employer in China has lost my originals.

Alternatively, you could get a job in the risky world of private language centres and work on an F visa. See the various posts in the Visa Forum where we have discussed working on an F visa.
Apr 16, 2008 12:10
GUEST48207 An European construction product supplier in Guangzhou has an opening for a regional sales position. Job requirement as follow: 1) American or European 2) fresh graduate from a university in the Greater China region or possess one year sales/ mkting working exp in mainland China.3) Willing to travel in China occassionally 4) Prefer to speak Putonghua.

interested parties should send your application with resume; stating the earliest available date to fosroc.com|eddie_kwan
Apr 21, 2008 03:37
  • ALERN
Introduce you two website, maybe helpful for your business work :

1.http://shenzhen.ixpat.com.
2.www.shenzhenparty.com.

Good luck to you.

Ellen

If need more
Apr 29, 2008 07:21
  • JARCHACK
If you go the teaching route, avoid agencies at all cost and deal with schools directly.
May 7, 2008 20:43
GUEST30609 Hi :
I am chinese , my name is powerliu ,and i am working now in Shanghai ,doing the furniture business.whch jobs are you interested ?may be I help you make your dream! my email:gmail.com|Vinehousepowerliu
Power
Jul 6, 2008 23:42
GUEST28175 I am an american raised in NY. I have a Masters in real estate finance . business management experience. My wife who I met here in the US is from Shanghai.
I hear that there are great oppertunities to make money but when I look at job boards I see stuff for 10,000 - 13,000 RMB . when I do the conversion it is like 1200 to 2000 USD. I could earn that working at Mc Donalds here. What am I missing?
Jul 9, 2008 17:32
  • WCTMAN
What are you missing? The cost of local living. Maybe 10000 in Shanghai is not much, but it buys a lot in a great many other cities. Put another way, 10000 is approx. 5 times the average salary in most cities.
Sep 18, 2008 20:32
GUEST81196 We are a department of Provincial Educatioin Commission in Shandong Province, China. We may arrange you a job in China. Please write us to yeah.net|cultureglobe Sincerely hope we could help you.
Page 2 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: American seeking work in China...where do I start?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code