Menu
Yunnan food, tell me about it.
May 22, 2007 04:25
  • DAVEC
Can anyone tell me about Yunnan traditional food? When I visit is there any special food I should try and also any I should avoid?
May 22, 2007 04:44
Taste Mixian - rice noodle.
May 22, 2007 08:56
  • YINMEI
Yes, the one of typical Yunnan food is OVER BRIDGE RICE NOODLES, another one is STEAMER CHICKEN. But i like Yunnan mashrooms most, this time is good season to try mushrooms in Yunnan. You can find lots of mushroos at summer in Yunnan.

Cheers
May 23, 2007 04:05
  • FAERIEQUEENE
The "Over the bridge" Mixian has a coat of oil (see pix) poured over hot soup so that other ingredients could be added in and 'cooked' in the bowl of rice noodles like in a hot pot. The thin slice of meat was horse meat that i should have liked to avoid...

The chicken in soup steamed in yixing clay pot is similar to Korean steamed ginseng chicken but usually a kind of chinese herb that might give a slight bitter flavour..It's tasty depending on the kinds and quantity of the herbs given and its worth trying or maybe worth checking out locally for a restaurant with a tradition offering this dish. So as the wild mushrooms hot pot.

yunnan is also famous for pu'er tea, it's more 'bitter' red tea, not gentle and fragrant green tea.

i came across some Dali dishes cooked with fruits which were very tasty too

May 23, 2007 04:30
  • BBQQ
Do try 丽江粑粑 when you are in Lijiang!!
May 23, 2007 04:55
  • DAVEC
I will make notes of all of these to try. thank you.
Jun 1, 2007 04:09
  • SLCCHINA
Yunnan foods are mostly spicy. If you can't eat spicy food, please tell them "Bu Yao La zi" (means don't put chily) when you make orders. Fried Patato ("Tu Dou Ba Ba") (especially in Lijiang) is the most delicious I have tried in China. Dont forget to try it.:)
Jun 1, 2007 06:49
  • DAVEC
I will be in Lijiang and will give it a try. thanks
Post a Reply to: Yunnan food, tell me about it.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code