Menu
What's Changchun like?
May 25, 2007 01:34
  • ANNAT
Hi there

I have read that the winter is long and cold. I hope I can cope. What is the shopping like? Can anyone tell me about Changchun, the good and the not so good? The food, the people?
May 25, 2007 01:48
  • EVENING
Changchun is the capital city of Jilin Province. It is located in northeast China. Yes winter there is longer and colder than many other places, but summer is quite comfortable!! ^.^

You don't need to worry about shopping there. Just like other provincial capital cities, Changchun has lots of shopping streets and world level supermarkets like Wal Mart,etc......

Generally speaking, people in northeast China is quite straightforward, honest and hospitable. Surely you will meet many good friends there. But of course not all the people!!!!!!!!!
May 27, 2007 23:20
  • MAY001
Yes, you will have a pleasant summer in Northeast China. Winter is cold but it's ok cos everywhere have heating system.
May 28, 2007 01:46
  • CALIFORNIA
Agree with the two kindly girls:-)
May 29, 2007 08:11
  • FROMFL
I lived in Changchun since early January. I moved here from the US. People are very helpful. English is not widely and in fact rarely spoken. It is cold but people here endure the cold very well. Driving and crossing the street is scary but I am still in one piece.
Oct 24, 2007 08:55
GUEST95184 My husband is considering a job offer that will take us to Changchun for 3 yrs. My question is just what is the cost of living like in Changchun? Things like food, housing ( although our housing would be paid for) Western-style clothing, transportation? And is it really true that we should have shipped in our household goods enough toothpaste/shampoo/etc. to last 3 yrs?
Oct 25, 2007 01:03
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Annat,

Yes the winter in the North East is long and cold, but it is also very dry and you will usually see snow. You can go skiiing and ice-skating. You can buy brilliant, long down-filled coats to keep out the cold. Everywhere has central heating (not like here in the south) and so when you're at home/work etc you shouldn't feel the cold.

I visited Changchun and really liked the city very much. It is quite easy to navigate and has plenty of shopping opportunities. It also has a really good cafe scene, with lots of small cafes and restaurants and English menus.

The people in the North East are very open, friendly and hospitable. I love the character of the NE people very much.

Changchun is also relatively clean for the North East, there's less pollution and fewer factories.

Guest 95184. NO, NO, NO. This conception of China is very much outdated and unhelpful. You can buy EVERYTHING in Changchun that you can buy in the West. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste is all available there. They have WAL MART! But, if you don't want to give your money to a multinational you'll find that most tiny corner shops, of which there are thousands, will sell toothpaste and stuff! The only thing you might have trouble finding is deoderant, it is available in China, but rarely the good brands.

The cost of living in China is very cheap. Food especially. If you buy and cook your own food it is very cheap and easy, the array of fresh meat and vegetables here is fantastic. If you eat out at Chinese restaurants, the prices are very reasonable. If you eat Western food/imported food/imported beer & wine, then the prices are comparable to what you would pay in the West. This is expensive by Chinese standards. I can't imagine for a second that your husband's wage won't cover it.

Transportation is cheap. Trains, buses, planes and taxis are certainly all cheaper than England (where I come from).

Western-style clothing in Chinese high-street shops or markets is very cheap. All modern Chinese clothes are Western-styled, except for the very old, traditional clothing which you would have to go to a special store to buy. The only problem is finding large sizes. If you are relatively short and slim you'll be fine, if not, you will have a little more trouble.

Real (not fake) Western-brand clothes, designer clothes are expensive. Roughly the same price as you would pay in the West, which makes them a lot of Chinese yuan/RMB.
Oct 25, 2007 01:17
  • LEMONCACTUS
ooops. I want to clarify. A few places will have English menus - as opposed to many places I've been where there are NO English menus.
Dec 19, 2007 15:47
GUEST20913 Hi GUEST95184 I am British and over 70.i have been to chanchun in the winter and will be going again in mid Jan to mid Feb 2008...the coldest time.First, the cold weather is no big deal.It does not stop people going out as long as it is not snowing hard.It is true you CAN buy a long 'down' (filled with feathers) coat, but you don't really need it.A thick sweater,(buy cashmere in Changchun..wow!), scarf,gloves, good thick socks,thick trousers and good windproof and waterproof outer coat, and a hat that covers the ears.Men and women can wear the same.(The Chinese ladies will be taking the opportunity to wear their fine fur coats and hats!). Long thermal underwear is also very useful if you want to take part in a favourite Chinese occupation...window-shopping! They are on sale everywhere, or bring some with you..If you just don't like cold, buy ski type clothes before you go to live in Changchun, or just have the same type of clothes we wear in European mid-winter, or in north USA winters. Good clothing, both local and imported is available everywhere in Chanchun, just like other Chinese cities.But you won't find the type of cheap low quality Chinese-made clothes that are sold in the West, unless you go around the cheapest markets.Those are only made to the order of our big stores.Chinese look for better quality! As for toothepaste and shampoo...forget it. You can buy ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in Chanchun.All the usual brands and plenty of local ones too.Last time I was there, I went to the biggest furniture store have ever seen. So big they have electric cars like big golf carts to run you around. There are three Walmarts in Changchun.One is right in the centre, but there are other gigantic supermarkets too.You can find products from all over the world.Changchun is a beautiful city full of parks and gardens. Southlake Park is the biggest.222Acres, including a 90 acre lake.The people in Changchun are wonderfully friendly too.There are plenty who speak english,
and english signs everywhere, and if you want to learn Chinese, you are in the best area to learn purest Mandarin..Changchun, the former capital of Manchuria...
Transport is good too.City buses cost RMB1=.7 English pence or 14 US cents to go anywhere, The Metro costs RMB2 per journey, and the taxi minimum fare is RMB5 ( 75 US cents!),which can take you along way in Changchun,and are reliable with honest friendly drivers.
You won't be alone in Changchun.There are quite a lot of foreigners around,and some social groups too.You will soon find them if you want to. Don't bother taking much with you. travel light. You can get everything there!
That should wet your appetite for Changchun, China's motor city, and where the Chinese 'Bullet' trains are built too.
Feb 5, 2008 00:23
GUEST10364 Hi everyone,

Thank you for the information you have posted about Changchun. It really helps me alot. What about the students, are they hospitable to foreign teachers as well?
Feb 24, 2008 06:22
GUEST04247 I posted back in Oct. asking about what to bring, cost of living, etc. and want to say "Thanks" for the answers ( will be stocking up on our favorite deos :) . We will be moving to Changchun in mid-August and were there last month and looked at lots of townhouses/apts. So I have another Q. that I hope somebody will be kind enough to answer. We have been looking at housing in Tian An, Janke, Upper Town and North Lake Hotel. Can anybody give me some real first hand info on the pros and cons of each of these areas???? Things like bldg. quality, how is the heating/cooling, how well management maintains the property, those sort of things. Looking forward to the move and getting to meet some more of the friendly people of Changchun and learning Mandarin.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What's Changchun like?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code