Menu
How you know Dream of Red Mansion?
May 26, 2007 22:00
  • ELLEN77
Dream of Red Mansions is one of four ancient Chinese classical fictions and considered a summit in the Chinese literation. This is well-known in China, and many store it in their own study rooms. The fiction has been filmized as a sitcom on the TV in 1987, which created another classic work. Now the fiction is to be refilmized, and the selection activity of the mian characters, Jia Baoyu, Lin Daiyu and Xue Baochai has conducted over the last winter and is nearly the end now. This is considered as a good activity to disseminate the knowledge of our classic literature.
So I'm wondering how many of you are watching the programme on BTV now? And how do you westerners know about this fiction?
May 27, 2007 23:16
  • LEONARDO
Wel, the novel is a great love tragedy, and it reflects the social and cultural scene of China's feudal society in the late Qing Dynasty. Its status in Chinese literature is like that of Shakespear' s four classic tragedies in English literature. So, personally, it deserves any literaturature-lovers reading !
May 28, 2007 00:48
  • KEVIN0518
Never watch those programmes such as Super Girl and Happy Boys or other selection shows.They are boring.

Personally, I think the new edition of Dream of Red Mansion can not be as good as the old one. But the book is really worth reading. Everytime you read it, you will find something new.
May 28, 2007 19:56
  • TRAVELDREAM
Hi Kevin,

Is there some English version of this book?
May 28, 2007 20:08
  • ELLEN77
Yes, Travel, as a classic works, there are of course English translated version of this book. You can find it in the bookstore.
May 28, 2007 20:11
  • KEVIN0518
Yes. I recommend you to read the English version translated by Yang Xianyi (杨宪益) and Dai Naidie(戴乃迭).
May 28, 2007 20:19
  • ELLEN77
I like leonardo's comparision of Dream of Red Mansions to Shakespeare's works, it really is. Not only for the poems, and language created in this works, but also for the deep meaning that it unveils. It really worth our research.
I have watched some of this programme, I have to admit that this activity really does something good to widespread and deepen the knowledge of this book. And some of the best competitors are really versatile in art, though I can not say they could perform the protagonists as excellent as the former classic one.
Oct 11, 2009 17:40
  • MARRIE
Dream of Red Mansion (the Story of the Stone) presents a wide window to Chinese society phsycological scope, its dalily life politics and social structure through a story describing a feudal chinese aristocracy family derives from flourishing to collapsing. It is much more than a love and feminist masterpiece. China sets up a research institute for dedicating to research of all layers of China's society. Dream of Red Mansion is one of most flashy gems in global literature.

Here is my favorit version and its couple of thesis songs attached the most gorgeous and classic poetic lyrics.

A dream in Red Mansion
Oct 11, 2009 17:48
  • MARRIE
Divine - all gone and in vain
Oct 11, 2009 17:55
  • MARRIE
Departing for unretured journey -(queen and her beloved ones see her off. she will marry overseas for exchange of decades of peace)

Last edited by MARRIE: Oct 11, 2009 18:55
Oct 13, 2009 05:35
  • CARLOS
I have never heard of it. Is it still going on? I wonder if it is possible to watch via internet?

About the music, I don´t know why, but I am quite facianated about chinese music, especially modern music with influences from traditional chinese music. Movies and tv-series, I like their music quite much.

Carlos
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How you know Dream of Red Mansion?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code