Menu
Farewell to Smoking in Public Places
May 30, 2007 01:18
  • LEONARDO
According to Associated Press, WHO strongly urges all countries to prohibit smoking at indoor workplaces and in public buildings.

WHO says tabacco use causes some fatal diseases,and accounts for 10% of adult fatalities. Every year, about 5.4 million die of disease caused by smoking. This figure is estimated to rise to 8.3 million by 2030.

More tragically, at least 200,000 workers die because of exposures to smoke at their offices.These secondhand smokers are innocent and are forced to fall victim to tobacco.

Smokers! Remember , non-smokers would question why you enjoy yourselves at the expense of others' health.
May 30, 2007 02:41
  • CHERYL
Good news^_^, smoking is a bad habit, it is bad for onself's health and will affect others' living and working environment, hope more and more people will give up smoking.
May 30, 2007 02:51
  • DEREK
A good news! I hate smoking now,altough I smoked in the past.
May 30, 2007 04:38
  • ZOEY
Actually, people around the smoker are really the victims. The smoker himself just abosrb few poisions. However, most of them are absorbed by the people around him. Really bad.
May 30, 2007 10:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Things will only change when we ask more and more people around us not to smoke.

I won't ride in a taxi if the driver is smoking.

I don't eat out with people who smoke if I can help it. Many of my Chinese freinds are also non-smokers or very light social smokers which is good for all of us.

I have asked other diners to put out cigarettes or at least have thier smoke blow somewhere else.

I ask people on buses to observe the no smoking signs, if not I sit by the window and open it wide when someone lights up. I just put on my sunglasses and I'm happy with all the fresh air even if others are not. Most people will respect this request or at least smoke less than they otherwise might if no- one complains.

I won't stay in a room which is full of smoke any longer than is necessary.

No-one smokes in my house, they have to sit/go outside if they must have one. Same goes for the car (at home)

If we don't stand up for our rights then others will continue to walk all over us.

Smokers are making a statement that they love to smoke.

We, non-smokers also need to make a clear statement that we don't like to smoke and especially second hand smoke.
May 30, 2007 20:17
  • KATRINA
"non-smokers also need to make a clear statement that we don't like to smoke and especially second hand smoke"

Yes, Jabarootoo. Otherwise those smokers would ingore non-smokers and think that we do not mind.
May 31, 2007 10:14
  • VALMINX
Smoking in a public building was banned in Wales a couple of months ago and this is about to be enforced in England tomorrow (i believe). As a non smoker then this pleases me but it has meant a lot of work for business owners such as restaurants/bars/clubs. It will be odd coming to aplace where people can smoke freely again!
May 31, 2007 16:16
  • DAVEC
We go 'smoke free' in England on 1st July which I think is great. I have part time job where people smoke and I always go home smelling of it. About time they thought of us non smokers.
May 31, 2007 22:26
  • KEVIN0518
Smoking equals suicide. Cherish your life.
May 31, 2007 23:23
  • LIONPOWER
A firmer in my village, age now about 50, consume 50 sticks in a day (minimum), his health is very good.
How I suggest him, smoking is dangerous to health?
Jun 1, 2007 04:36
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Really surprising. His health is still good even he smoke 50 sticks a day?
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Farewell to Smoking in Public Places
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code