Menu
How much does the happiness cost?
Jun 8, 2007 04:50
  • CAOJUAN157
Have you ever heard about the term ' Happiness Economics'?
It is said that the ultimate goal we want to achieve in our life is HAPPINESS. All the other things we pursue are just the media helping us to get pleasure or happiness.
According to the basic economical theory - Opportunity Cost Theory, 'Happiness Economics' may be explained as to achieve happiness as much as possible with the lowest cost. Is it true in our real life?
How much does your happines cost?
Jun 8, 2007 07:14
  • LIONPOWER
It's depends up on you.
If you think, may pass you life lying under a tree, no need to get help from economics.
Jun 8, 2007 14:23
  • GRIZ326
The only economic issues truly associated with happiness are food, clothing, and shelter.

Happiness has much more to do with good health, friends and family, and your ability to find contentment.

...and those people who talk about the economics of happiness are probably trying to sell you a new TV or some other gadget. Creating a need for silly little gizmos and making them important to a person's quality of life, social status, and self-perception is important for business; but destructive to humanity. Most people would be much happier if they threw away most of their modern contraptions. They would discover that is is fun and rewarding to roll around in the grass with their children.
Jun 8, 2007 15:59
  • DAVEC
I think the main thing to bring you happiness has to be your health, without that everything else is useless.
Jun 8, 2007 21:59
  • ZOEY
Yes, Davec.

"to achieve happiness as much as possible with the lowest cost."

It is worth trying. A good idea.
Jun 9, 2007 02:11
  • JOANNEL
Look up Maslos Theory of Human need. I often find colleagues and other professionals in my home country referring to this Theory. It attempts to put human contentment into some kind of perspective. Personally i believe that humans are very unlikely to find true happiness in this world, life is more mundane and tough times, with happiness a gift that we sometimes get when we least expect it- but certainly not the normal state of existance for most people. Did you mean 'peace' or happiness? Contentment and peace can often exist even without happiness.
Jun 9, 2007 05:25
Surely happiness has to be transient - I could not imagine being happy all the time. How could you you live without occaisional doubt, fear, and anger?

Therefore the concept of seeking to achieve maximum happiness within minimum cost seems flawed.

Personally I think happiness is the result of success achieved, or of blessings bestowed, and that people need to strive in life for other things, which may bring happiness as one of the rewards. If your aim is simply happiness you risk wasting your life in pursuit of selfish goals.
Jun 9, 2007 07:38
  • YEMMIE
Yes Griz, you are right. There is an old saying in the West, "Money can't buy happiness." I believe that is true, but I WOULD add that while it can't buy happiness, it can insulate you from a lot of misery.
Jun 9, 2007 12:21
  • APAULT
I disagree with most of the comments....nothing new! The problem with conventional economics is that it assumespeople act rationally so as to maximise wealth. This is often but not always true. there are many motivations in life, certain aspects of happiness are not based on economic success so economic theory is not applicable. When we make decisions to optimise happiness they may be cost free in the economic sense.

The market mechanism is a valuable means of analysing much of human behaviour but not everything!
Jun 9, 2007 14:19
  • GRIZ326
That is true YEMMIE. The actress Mae West is often quoted as saying, "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."
Jun 10, 2007 05:43
  • HERBICIDE
"Happiness costs nothing, it is only a choice"
"The price of being unhappy are much higher"
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How much does the happiness cost?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code