Menu
How to bridge China's top-notch talents gap?
Jun 12, 2007 21:06
  • LEONARDO
China's annual College Entrance Examination has just concluded in the past several days . A lot of new talents will be admited into university to receive higher education.

Since 1999, China has expanded its college enrolment, and the number of graduates has skyrocketed.Every year , lots of college graduates can not find jobs.Does this mean that China has been a powerhouse of talents?

Surely, it is not the case. There is only a relative oversupply of graduates. China is still facing a top-notch talents gap, especially high-level experinced managerial talents. Most of business managers make decision still based on gossip and instinct. Even the best companies like Haier, TCL and Lenovo are facing a high-level talents gap.

How to handle this problem is still a crux. Many trials have been proved to be futile. In the past decades, business management schools emerged like the bamboo after the rain. The talents gap hasn't yet been shortened.
So, establishing so-called business management school is not good way out for China.

What is the way out ? Personnally, being a college student, I think that China's top-notch talents scarcity is due to the present educational system.

Under the present educational system, we, Chinese students study for examination. At school, we are told to do what our teachers assigned us. At home, our parents arranged everything for us, from the childhood,they have set a blueprint for us: go to college and find a decent job.

From the childhood to adulthood, few of Chinese students have made the decisions on their own. Imagine, if we have never managed our own lives dependently, how can we manage a big company after entering the society.From this point, China's top-notch talents gap is inevitable.

Perhaps, the only good way out is to reform the present educational system and foster Children's sense of independence and decision-making.Only in this way can we have more top-notch talents .Otherwise, the increasing talents gap could hinder China's development.

How to bridge the talents gap ? Share your valuable opinions!!!

Jun 12, 2007 21:20
  • LEONARDO
Correction: The word " dependently" in the sentence " if we have never managed our own lives dependently" should be " independently". The author regrets the error.
Jun 13, 2007 09:01
  • GRIZ326
The need for certain types of workers changes with changes in the economy. The educational system lags behind need and seldom recognizes when the need has been filled creating an over-supply of one type worker or another.

In the second issue you present, it seems that you are saying China will never produce good managers because as students and as children you have been taught to be obedient; never made the decisions; and never challenged your teachers and parents. Every generation thinks this as they are trying to take their place. Everything falls into place with time.

Do martial arts schools have special classes to create great masters? Or do great masters emerge? Likewise, if business management classes are available, great managers will eventually emerge.
Jun 13, 2007 20:30
  • LEONARDO
Well, GRIZ326, as for the second issue stated, I don't mean that China will never produce good managers . Undoubtly, China has some good managers such as the CEOs of Lenovo and Haier.

I mean China is facing a top-notch talents scarciity. Compared with its grand and robust economy, China's supply of good managerial talents is like a tip of an iceberg.

My point is that China could and should have more excellent managerilal talents, but the educational system, actually, suppress students' creativity.

As for Chinese martial arts, frankly speaking, I am an outsider. However, as far as I know, to become a master, one has to acquire the skills beyond what the teachers can teach. That is to say, to creat something new.

As to business management, I think it is very complicated and pragmatic. Good managerial skills is closely related to one's personality, experiences and what kinds of education he/she has received. Good managerial talents must have creativity, independently -thinking ability and excellent decision-making ability,which is the present educational system can not provide.
Jun 14, 2007 09:14
  • CALIFORNIA
That's a war~~~~~~
Jun 14, 2007 09:45
  • GRIZ326
>>>I mean China is facing a top-notch talents scarciity.

I suspect you are wrong about this; or if there is a scarcity it will a short-lived one. Many times journalists and politicians create "mountains out of mole hills" making concerned people "worry-warts."

Two American expressions meaning "to make something out of nothing" and "to worry over little things."

I certainly hope that I am correct.
Jun 18, 2007 01:43
  • LEONARDO
Well, Griz326, The top-notch talents gap is China's reality. As an ordinary Chinese, I have the ability of discernment. I can feel the situation in the daily life.

To be frank, sometimes, I also suspect journalists' exaggerating reports of an ordinary event.BUT in this point, I have no doubt.
Jun 22, 2007 00:31
  • GRIZ326
Leonardo, I really hope you are not correct on this point. I know my company hires many Chinese people. They certainly do not display any lack of talent. In my experience in working with these people, they are dedicated and often brilliant.

Brilliant people are rare.

Perhaps I do not fully understand the scale of China, but the Chinese nationals I work with are TOP SHELF talent (the best talent).

I really hope you are not correct in your perception.
Jun 22, 2007 04:18
  • LEONARDO
Griz326, I also hope what I mentioned is not true. However, that is the reality, I have to face it. I am sorry to say : It is true that perhaps,you do not fully understand the scale of China. 1.3 billion ,can you imagine?

Well, I don't know what kind of corporation and you are working in. If your company is a famous multinational, operated in US or UK. it is undeniable that those Chinese nationals are quite brilliant. Some of them even received higher education in US OR UK, they belong to the elite group. As you said, brilliant peopole are rare.
Jun 28, 2007 20:35
  • YVONNE
Hey, a very hot debate!!!!
Jul 2, 2007 02:38
  • BBQQ
Be optimistic, China is progressing!
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to bridge China's top-notch talents gap?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code