Menu
Diabetic
Jun 15, 2007 12:24
  • LISSAKAY88
I am a little worried. I will be staying in Hangzhou for a month and am diabetic. I don't speak Chinese and wondered how to be sure I am not eating something that has sugar in the sauce or as a preservative. Here in the US sugar is sneaked into a lot of things. How would I say in Chinese that I can't eat sugar?
Jun 15, 2007 12:38
  • LIONPOWER
Give a PM to May001
Jun 15, 2007 12:45
  • LISSAKAY88
I don't know how to do that...computer illiterate. Sorry.
Jun 15, 2007 21:09
  • ROGERINCA
Your post is timely. On my most recent trip to the Guangzhou region in May, I was accompanied by a friend of mine who owns a manufacturing business in my city. He has been a diabetic for several years and keeps his blood levels under control religiously.

He found that during our nearly three weeks in China, eating three to four times each day at a variety of restaurants, his blood sugar levels stayed consistently lower than here in California. Most restaurants in China, unlike their counterparts in the USA, do not use the high levels of sugar and/or corn syrup in the sauces. Some items which were inherently more sweet, he ate in moderation. Moreover, we scrounged up all the cans of genuine Diet Coca Cola (Diet Coke) we could find. Only a few stores stocked it, as cutting carb’s is not high on the list of most Chinese.
Jun 16, 2007 04:45
  • GURTY
Don't know how ro cope with it ? Wish you a good luck in Suzhou.
Jun 16, 2007 05:41
  • LIONPOWER
LISSAKAY88,
Search May001.
give her a Personal msg - " I can't eat sugar"

She will translate it in Chinese.
Jun 18, 2007 01:38
  • BBQQ
我有糖尿病,不能吃糖。(I'm a diabetic, I can't eat sugar.)

Print it and show the waiter before ordering your meal. Actually, there are less sugar in Chinese cuisine, especially the north China's diet.
Jun 19, 2007 12:45
  • LIONPOWER
Thanks Lee
Post a Reply to: Diabetic
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code