Menu
Top 10 military nations
Jul 6, 2007 05:30
  • PETERSEAFORD
Dear Mirandazhao thanks very much for pointing out that the US has won a lot of things.

i admire the US .they saved us in WW2 for which i am most grateful.

still i look forward to hearing from you more about the gains made in the last 50 years . just a few would direct me so that i may discover more.

The US has sacrificed many heroes for me i do not deny but we are talking about "Gains" not attempts

regards peter
Jul 9, 2007 20:34
  • MAY001
Of course, the US people devoted a lot during the world. Applause to them! But undoubtly, compared to other countries which suffer the war directly, US is luckier and gained a lot in commerce and politics.

At the beginning of the WW2, US was not in the war and many many its products were sold to both sides. The merchants got a lot of money, plus their products gain a world-wide fame such as Coca Cola. After the war, US became one of the mighty power of the world when other countries were still suffering the damage and ruins. The US culture and life style spread all over the world...
Jul 10, 2007 03:57
  • PETERSEAFORD
May001 I agree with you - when all is said and done - yes there was a victory in WW11 but after that only the makers and traders of "big boys toys" have won. Tax payers- workers- pay that their countries have bigger guns than the kid next door.
funny - governments tell their people who they must hate and attack.
usually people take time to understand each other - then get on with each other - this email proves that - we are both from different backgrounds and enjoy an exchange of ideas - if i were closer i would enjoy having a beer with some one like you .i have read many of your postings.

kindest personal regards
peter
Jul 16, 2007 09:15
  • KRUUTH
I'd like to point out something that globalissues does not bring up.

A LOT of what they count as "Military Expenditures" comes from spending that only has a tenuous link to the military at best.

Case in point, a lot of funding at universities in the US comes through the us gov't. I know several students that are in aerospace that are all on technically "military" projects even though their projects have no impact on military work.

The same goes for medicine. When my sister was in medical school the doctor she was doing research with had a US grant to study cancer. This somehow was classed as military because one of the other hospitals in the study was a VA hospital in another part of the country.
Jul 16, 2007 20:19
  • MAY001
Thanks Peter, I'd like to have a beer with you too. Maybe you can come to visit Xian someday??

And KRUUTH, I'm afraid I won't agree with you. Think about the germ warfare and chemical warfare. Maybe the scientists don't have any idea about war, but the result is that what they studied became a terrible weapon.
Jul 17, 2007 02:31
But there is an important point that KRUUTH makes, and that is that expenditure classified as 'military' may only have very tenuous linkage to 'warfare'. I am sorry that I used the expression 'bang for buck' in my previous posting, because I believe in fact that the greater part of 'military' expenditure worldwide is directed toward peaceful ends.
Jul 19, 2007 10:04
  • KRUUTH
MAY001, the US does not conduct germ warfare. There are whole areas of the Soviet Union that are totally uninhabitable because of the experiments that they did in germ warfare. Yes, there are things that became weapons but the same can be said for anything. The same factory that makes sewing machines can make guns. This is just a sad truth.

Keep in mind that globalissues doesn't bring up the fact that all of the US aid in SE asia that came after the tsunami, bring the hospital online, medical personnel, aid workers, etc. was all technically "military". They were stationed off an aircraft carrier. The generators were brought in and set up by the army corps engineers. The "military" the us has is also used for many, other peaceful things.
Jul 19, 2007 21:39
  • LEONARDO
China will develped into an asymmetrical power relying on its fast economic growth. China will be come a power in economy, not in military. As President said in his address in Yale University last year, China is seeking a peaceful development.
Oct 12, 2007 09:49
GUESTRAJIV india is going to be next superpower ! in very few coming dayz it self..am sure
Oct 13, 2007 01:44
  • DODGER
Can you imagine what could be achieved by mankind if all of this intellectual energy and expenditure could be channelled into something worthwhile?
Can I assume that there are no ex servicemen/women on this site?
It reminds me of the school yard. “I’ve got a bigger bag of marble than you”
And that is when fights start.
Dodger.
Page 2 of 21    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Top 10 military nations
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code