Menu
Tipping Translators??
Jul 5, 2007 03:55
  • MAY001
Tips are widely accepted in China's tourism. Especially those who guide a foreign group cos foreigners usually have the custom to tip. There are also someone who refused to accept tips, mostly because their company's rules. But no one is allowed to ASK for a tip. If you tip them, they will appreciate you.
Jul 5, 2007 06:33
  • PETERSEAFORD
Thank you MAY001 i was believing that tipping did not exist in China and that the travel agencies were cheating.
i appreciate that people should not expect a tip -or ,indeed ask for one.

most persons are paid to perform a task but if they go out of their way then i always put some money where it is discovered by the worker after i have gone

generally is 10%of the bill is the norm

regards peter.
Jul 5, 2007 21:31
  • JENDY
" cos foreigners usually have the custom to tip"

Not where I come from. Peter, can you give a hint which tour co you are talking about. We're booked for Sept and yes we have to put in for tips, I then read a travel book, Fodor's I think it was and they say NO tipping and I'm thinking we are getting ripped here. I will be paying it but don't really appreciate them saying that tipping is the norm in China when it isn't. That said we are not paying it to the co here in Aus but have to pay directly to the tour operator in China, maybe it's really a back hander, I hope not, I hope the local guides get it.
Jul 6, 2007 01:26
  • PETERSEAFORD
well Jendy with whom have you booked ?? think you will find all of them do the same .thats exactly why i was concerned to hear from people that i persume are in China that it is not the prefered way to act.

regards peter
Jul 6, 2007 01:47
  • MIRANDAZHAO
As a former guide for nearly 5 years I must say that tipping is really appreciated by us. Most of tour guides don't have a stable salary or have a low salary. So they rely on tips very much. Of course, if the guide and driver provide a bad service, you can refuse to tip them and complain to the company. But if you enjoy the service, give the guide and driver some tips are really a delightful thing. In international level hotels and restaurants, tipping is also widely accepted.

As for airport staff and translators mentioned above, tipping is not a normal thing. If you like, you may tip them. But they may refuse it due to the company rule.

Anyway, here in China, tourism is more international standard.
Jul 6, 2007 02:53
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks very much - your guidance is appreciated and usually we tip anyway. many times the waiter - guide - driver - who ever - has tried their best for you - or so i chose to believe - and i feel better for having left a tip anyway.

thanks again - and i am relieved of my concern that the tour company may have devised a way of extracting extra charges under false pretences

kind regards

peter
Jul 6, 2007 03:55
  • JABAROOTOO
And not where I come from Peter.

We have to be careful becuse it can become an incidious habit. People are paid to do a job and while to us it may not seem much that is not our issue. This is China. And while I appreciate the service that is a little special there are other ways to show your appreciation in non-monetary ways. Just being pleasant is something that many will cherish an remember long after the money is spent.

Let's not upset the apple cart here.
Jul 6, 2007 05:13
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks Jabarootoo - what i have said and what another Aussie has confirmed - travel agents charge us for tips as part of our fare.
the charge is not a trifle - $65 to $150 per person per tour.

if tipping is not the go then what do we do ??

if you do not pay then you have no ticket.

it is the only place that i am aware of where the travel agent claims that it is a requirement of China.

how can i be empowered to advise them that such is not the case and that tipping is not to be encouraged in China ?

regards peter
Jul 6, 2007 05:41
  • JABAROOTOO
Gee Peter,
That is the first time I have heard anyone talk about travel agents asking for tip/gratuity up front??? But I don;t take tours like that for just some of these no so pleasant pracitices. Like taking you shopping all day when you have booked to see the sights.

Lets see if we get a few more comments from other travelers who have come across this practice. And I agree it is a hefty amount for each cliet to contribute. I wonder if they are using this to pay the guides their fee and calling it a tip????????
Jul 6, 2007 07:18
  • JENDY
Peter,

I think it best not to actually put tour operator names here.. Yes we are told we have to put in about $130-00 each, as I said before it's to be paid direct to the ground operator in China not to the tour co in Aus. I initially had no qualms about that as we are told up front before we booked, I only got a bit miffed when I read that it's not the custom. Like you said though, no pay, no ticket more than likely. I'll just pay and shut up, for the time being anyway.

Jabarootoo, our tour co says the local tour operator pays all the local guides as we go along, in our case thats 28 days.

This is the first time I've ever taken a tour like this, in the past we have always done our own thing, consequently we are coming across things we haven't had the need to worry about in the past.

Oh and I had better not be taken shopping all day, I will not be a happy camper. Actually, there doesn't seem too much time in our itinerary for shopping.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tipping Translators??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code