Menu
Tipping Translators??
Jul 6, 2007 07:25
  • JENDY
Just in answer to the OP and the question asked.

What we did in New York when taken on a tour and had been emphatically told we were not to tip the guide was to buy some books on Australia and the state we come from and gave them as a gift, they were greatly appreciated, so maybe something like that would be an idea.
Jul 6, 2007 07:43
  • JABAROOTOO
I agree that this is a great idea. There a plenty of nice gift items, practical too that say 'I thought about what I might give someone special'.

The tipping I'm sure is expected and received more from foreign tourists. I wonder what the National tourist and business men do.

I personally have seen some in action and I would not like to be on the receiving end of the attitude I have witnessed. But this would not be everyone, just some instances I personally have observed and I'm sure happens around the world as much as here.

But generally speaking, hospitality staff in China are on the bottom of the pile so to speak and often treated very poorly by their own. And all the more reason that we treat them with the respect they deserve.
Jul 6, 2007 16:27
  • PETERSEAFORD
have phoned my travel agent - they will not accept "gifts" in place of the tipping levy.
if i do not accept their terms and conditions which they state in writing is a requirement of China then my ticket will not be issued.

i have four tours of China booked starting March - one 28 day and three side tours - my "tipping" is just under $400 which whilst not much for 34 days is a practice that seems frowned upon in China.

think i must just pay and shut up about the matter - seems there are crooks everywhere

regards peter
Jul 6, 2007 22:40
  • CHINAGUEST
This thread has become very interesting. I would just like to say to MIRANDAZHAO - you said that "In international level hotels and restaurants, tipping is also widely accepted." I once gave the housekeepers here in China (at a very upscale hotel) a tip for bringing me some extra items items (towels things of that sort) only to have my tip returned to me a little while later by the hotel manager. I must say I was very suprised by this. I would think it was the right thing to do to tip for excellent service or as the acronym T.I.P. stands for - to-insure-promptness.
JABAROOTOO - I agree with you that the level of service is a little special here. Actually in my opinion the level of service here is by far way better than service in the USA. And tipping is practically mandatory there.
Jul 7, 2007 04:26
  • JENDY
Peter, I didn't for one minute think giving a gift would be acceptable in cases where we are going on "Organised" Tours, more so in the OP's case or if you were travelling independently. I too will be paying up but might just pose the question to the Tour operators, not that I expect to get a satisfactory answer. Anyway apart from that it's all good, can't wait.
Jul 7, 2007 04:36
  • APAULT
The tipping fee is simply a hidden charge by the tour operator. It is a dishonest way of adding to the price once you have decided to buy! I bet the staff never see it. Your choice.

I agree with Jabaroo that restaurant and hotel dsaff are appallingly treated here. I am not thinking of the treatment by employers...tho it is not always very good, but by the customers. The average customer is rude and arrogant...and it seems to increase with wealth (just like with driving arrogance and impatience). The "nouveau riche' have a lot to learn.
Sep 23, 2007 06:25
GUEST98484 Hi, guys,

I work for a US company in Tianjin, as an accountant. I am looking for a private tutor for improving my english. If you are interested in teaching and making friends, you can contact me. My email is hotmail.com|rickzhang2005.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tipping Translators??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code