Menu
Find international school in Hainan
Jul 2, 2007 10:28
  • IREEN
Our family prepares to move to hainan due to the work of my husband. We have 3 children of 2, 4 and 6 years old. So far, I haven't found an International (English speaking) school at the Island. Does anyone know if there is one?

Jul 2, 2007 23:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Ireen,

I doubt that there is one there. Haikou would be the most likely spot if any. Wait and see what the locals say but if you have done a comprehensive search and found nothing then that is probably the case.

You may be able to get your youngest two into a Chinese Kindergarten that has English lessons (I currently teach in one of those but they are usually only in the larger cities. We have a two year old from Australia who comes in the mornings and one full day each week and he is coping very well) and they will quickly learn Chinese.

Your oldest one may have to be home schooled which is not such a bad thing if you have the time.

Sorry we can't be of more help. I'll see if I can find you a web site for an interesting school in Haikou that you may be able to contact for more information if nothing else.

Where will you be living?? You'll love it there. It's a great island.
Jul 2, 2007 23:35
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Ireen,
Here is the school I think you may get some good advice from even if they can't take your children. They are in Haikou

http://www.hnpls.com/english/english_index.htm

Have a look at the site and give them a call and see what they know.

All the best

I came across a blog by a family who have been living on the island since 1993 but I couldn't open the page. You may have better luck. I just googled 'learning Mandarin in Haikou'
Jul 5, 2007 13:26
  • IREEN
thanks for your info! I'll check it out. We don't know where we are going to live yet. My husband has to start a business at Hainan and has not yet decided where. In a few weeks we'll visit the island for the first time. So that will be exciting.
May 8, 2008 06:34
GUEST60105 Hi,

I am a teacher as is my wife. We are thinking about establishing a school in Hainan teaching the British National Curriculum. We have done this sort of thing before and have learnt that demand is all important.

For those of you who now the island, do you think there would be enough demand for a 2 - 4 classroom school in either of the larger cities if the fees were around 70,000 RMB a year. This is how much it costs to pay for qualified teachers and resource the school to a level where the academic outcomes are comparable to other international schools worldwide?

We both teach in international schools at the moment.

Looking forward to some replies, positive or otherwise.
May 28, 2008 15:07
GUESTTHELXI My husband and i have an opportunity to come and live in Sanya, but I have been trying to find out if there are any schools for expats kids and if they were we would definetely come.
There probably will be a few more families that would be interested to relocate to Sanya.
There is a group of pilots and their families that have the option to relocate to Sanya or Guangzhou or Xian and from my research on the interenet Sanya looks like an incredible and affordable place.
The only problem is that I can't find a school!
Let me know what happens,

Thelxi
Jun 4, 2008 21:32
GUEST54131 hi, We also have an opportunity to work in Sanya but I have a 12 year old son and I cant seem to find any information on available schooling. Are there many families that home school? I have done that in the past but find the social side for my son suffers... if anyone has any information I would be thankful.
Jun 4, 2008 22:42
  • IREEN
Since november 2007 we live in Shenzhen instaed of Hainan. The children go to an international school here, so I am lucky that the children have many kids to play with and I don't have to teach the children myself. I heard people were planning upon stating an international school in Hainan, but maybe it got stuck at the plans....
Jun 27, 2008 04:11
GUEST20149 I am also considering a move to Hainan, preferably Sanya. I am looking for an international school for my daughters, grades 1 and 10, and a teaching position for myself. There are a lot of other questions I have about life in Hainan. Would someone who lives or teaches there please respond with more information?

I hope to hear from someone soon!
Jun 30, 2008 00:18
GUEST14194

hELLO

ANY RESULT FROM YOUR QUEST ????

i HAVE 2 CHILD 5 AND 11 YEARS OLD AND ALSO PLAN TO RESIDE IN SANYA

I HAVE LIVED IN HAINAN ! IN THE PAST THEY HAD A CANADIAN SCHOOL IN HAIKOU BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THERE GONE

I WILL GO TO SANYA AROUND MID JULY AND WILL KEEP YOU UPDATE

JEAN
Jul 29, 2008 22:48
GUEST42213 I live in Haikou now with my wife and two small children, 2 and 5, and our biggest concerns are the lack of international school type education here in Haikou. I for one would say for sure we would be interested in something like this. If you do decide to do it, please let us know!!

From what I have found, there are many expatriates who would love to live in Hainan, but schooling is a major issue. I know of many developers who would probably be keen to a partnership with someone willing to develop one of these schools. For sure there are many local schools who would be willing to develop a partnership.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Find international school in Hainan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code