Menu
Can an individual make a difference?
Jul 4, 2007 02:58
  • LEONARDO
After watching the movie Casablanca and It's a Wonderful Life, I have been pondering can a small potato like me make a difference. In other words, can one person change society or people's views through his/her actions?

In the movie Casablanca, the heroes Rick and Victor Lazlo make sacrifice to oppose against fascism. More importantly , they love the same woman, while both two heroes are willing to sacrifice love for the holy cause .

It's a wonderful life reminds us to imagine what would happen if we have never come to this world. The conclusion is : no one is born to be a failure, nobody who has friends is poor . Each of us, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is important and has the power to make a difference.

If you don't believe, please close your eyes and imagine what would happen if you had never been born: your parents would be lonely and depressed ; your wife would be a spinster; your friends would have lost much fun in life.

Therefore, we all matter, If not for all the people, at least for those who love us and we loved: parents, lovers, friends and relatives.

We all have the power to make a difference, don't we ????
Jul 4, 2007 03:08
  • BBQQ
A good post. Actually, everyone is born a winner.
Jul 4, 2007 09:48
Yes, I think we can all make a difference.
Jul 4, 2007 17:30
  • DAVEC
Of course we make a difference. Even the smallest thing we say or do affects someone somehow for a period of time. We all play our part in history.
Jul 4, 2007 20:27
  • KATRINA
YES, you are right, DAVEC. Each individual, no matter how insignificant, leave the marks on history. Farmers, teachers, clerks, sales man all contributes the pool of world history.
Jul 5, 2007 11:45
  • LIONPOWER
Till now many people in the dark. Have no better idea about their life.
How they make difference?
Jul 9, 2007 22:56
  • LEONARDO
" In the dark, have no better idea about their life " what do you mean, lionpower? Do you mean many people are still living in poverty,and havn't found the way out?

As I have mentioned, no one is born to be a failure, nobody who has friends is poor . Each of us, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is important and has the POWER to make a difference.

Although some people are very poor, they still have the power to make a difference.as long as they have the will and hope. Being poor is not a humiliated thing, poverty just means you are confronting material scarcity.

Compared with material scarcity, spiritual emptiness and depression are more terrified and devastating. for poor people, they still live a happy life because they value the beloved family, relatives and friends.
Jul 12, 2007 21:02
  • KATRINA
Make a difference, can I? I agree with you, Leonado. I am a small potato, too. But I believe I will someday.
Jul 13, 2007 00:04
  • LIONPOWER
kathina,
So many examples. Why you used ,"Potato".
Jul 13, 2007 22:37
  • GRYOKAN
Yes, an individual can make a difference - if one believes in it. But of cos, one has to really struggle to gather bigger support to have more impact. Many little drops of rain makes the ocean.
Jul 17, 2007 22:31
  • LEOPOLD219
Right, Gryokan, "many little drops of rain makes the ocean." We all are important and can make a difference. Remember, we are progressing everyday.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can an individual make a difference?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code