Menu
Cell Phone purchase in china?
Jul 5, 2007 09:09
  • MARIO5
Hey all,

Very soon, i'm going to Pekin/Shanghai/HK/etc... and i was wondering if it is a good idea to purchase a cell phone there? If so, what should i know? I'm in canada and obviously i would like to be able to get it working here :) (i'm with Bell Mobility in Quebec).

Any advice and also which city is best for that?

thanks a bunch!

Mario
Jul 5, 2007 11:03
  • JCNILE123
if canada is like usa , chances are your purchase of a china phone will be a waste of money.
i don't think bell let you use a phone from some one else company.

base on my personal experience, i used to be with sprint for long (10 years).

last year i ask em how can i use their phone overseas, and the only way available was to pay roaming = high dollars.

so, i check around and t mobil let you use their phone with a foreign sim card, if you have service with them, all you have to do is ask them to unlock your phone so you can use it overseas ( you must wait til the first payment is done on your bill for t mobil to unlock it)

i works great in any asian or european country.

Jul 5, 2007 11:54
hey dont buy chinese brand phones they dont work but if you buy motorola and nokia and samsung they should work but i dont know if it works for bell just make sure you dont buy a chinese brand phone they are cheap and break and they wont work
Jul 5, 2007 12:11
Get your phone unlocked and buy a sim in China, I used t-mobile last year on roaming and it was expensive, I got charged for receiving calls.
Mine is pay as you go, so my credit went!!
I just had enough to phone my daughter when I got back th London.
Jul 5, 2007 12:20
  • MARIO5
Actually, i informed myself a little bit more on the Bell side, and they don't use GSM. they use somthing like CDMA and apparently nothing is worth it cause bell won't acitvate it...lol..gotta love Bell..

Thank you to everyone anyways!

Mario
Jul 5, 2007 12:30
  • LIONPOWER
Chinese Brand cell phones are very cheap. Not bad, you can try.
Jul 6, 2007 00:45
lol lionpower i hope you are joking chinese phones are the worst never buy one
Jul 6, 2007 01:20
  • DAVEC
If you have unblocked phone then keep your phone but buy sim card when you arrive, its much cheaper. Last year I was 'roaming' with my O2 and it cost a fortune
Jul 6, 2007 02:55
  • FAERIEQUEENE
you could consider buying one in Hong Kong, there are tons of official shops that offer phones of international brands and those Japanese and Korean, at reasonable price

here is one link to view the phone models and price, just for reference, there are many other telecom shops, more than five in every busy street...

http://1010.hkcsl.com/jsp/handsets_and_devices/handsets/main.jsp
Jul 6, 2007 04:00
  • BBQQ
"chinese phones are the worst never buy one"

Have you ever used a Chinese cell phone?
Nov 5, 2007 02:09
GUESTCAROOLINE am visiting in sanya city,china and i want to buy a nokia N75 or N73 phone.wre can i get one close by?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cell Phone purchase in china?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code