Menu
more specific question about train,bus, plane and getting around from guilin to fenghuang
Jul 6, 2007 16:05
  • JEJOZWIK
There's 6 of us planning to travel starting in guilin, then tongren and final destination is fenghuang
so I would like to get more info about the getting around china. (2 of us can read and speak mandarin no problem)

here's some question I'd like to know in advance before I go to china:

1.) About the train

I wonder if the train from cities to cities operates daily, 7 days a week?

I read somewhere else that train tickets are hard to get, especially if theres 6 of us, and we have to get the tickets 4 days in advance, is this true?

and where to buy the legitimate train tickets in advance? is it only for sale at the station? Is there a way buying it from another city?

2.) about the plane

I've been trying to find flight going to tongren in guizhou, and from there we plan to catch a bus to fenghuang.

But so far I have no luck in the search online, it kept comes up with no result.
Does anybody know what airline fly to tongren?
So far the airline website doesnt have much info

3.) about bus going to fenghuang

How often is the frequency of the bus from tongren going to fenghuang run?
How many hours approximately is the trip?
Is it a public bus or a private bus?

and when we're there, how do we know where the bus is? is asking around when we're there is the only way to know where to go?

I hope anyone can help us with more info
thank you very much

Jul 6, 2007 20:33
  • PEA28COCK
Hereunder is my answers for your refrence. Hope it can help.

1) about the train
Definitely there are trains from cities to cities operating daily.Usually train tickets are easy to get, but it will be very hard to get in the weekend and peak time for traveling, like May Day holiday, National Day holidday and Spring Festival holiday. So try to avoid weekend and other holidays. You can buy tickets in train station and other train ticket agencies. They are all legitimate train tickets selling place.

2) There is no direct flight from Guilin to Tongren. You can take flight MF8421 in Guilin to Guiyang. The plan will leave Guilin in 19:00 and arrive Guiyang in 19:40. Then take a night-rest in Guiyang. The other day you can take flight CA4263, 3U8675 or 3U8681to Tongren.

3.) about bus going to fenghuang
Tongren airport is about 30 kilometes away from Fenghuang. There is no direct bus to Fenghuang.You can rent a car; it will cost you about RMB80.

Good luck to you!
Jul 7, 2007 02:02
  • JABAROOTOO
Good advice here from Peacock.
When we visited Fenghuang we came up by train and minibus/taxi from Kaili to Tongren and we just missed the last public bus to Fenghuang but it was easy to find a taxi or minibus. I think we paid Y100 which was cheaper than the others were prepared to charge us and the road back then was atrocious (road works ALL the way) so we gave our driver the extra amount in the end as he probably drove back empty. Less than 2hours if I remember. We also took a taxi out of Fenghuang when we left. We had four in our group and it was very cheap to travel this way and around this area we discovered that this was a common alternative to the less than frequent public transport.

With 6 of you you can get good deals on a minivan for day trips.

Enjoy the place but avoid the weekend as it is popular during weekends and holidays.

You can find great accommodation in the old town along the riverbank too. Try across the other side as there are a lot of new places to choose from. We never even went outside the old city confines, there was so much to see and do inside. Go and explore the villages and the old defencive wall if you've got the time.

Enjoy your stay
Aug 25, 2008 05:32
  • CHOOIVY06
A group of 10 of us will be planning a visit to Guilin and Fenghuang from May 1st to May 10th 2009. Kindly advice the following -
1. Is it possible to combine both Guilin and Fenghuang in our 10 days holiday ?
2. I understand that May 1st is a public holiday in China, would this time a peak season ?
3. Is it a good weather to visit during this time ? If not, please recommend the best time to visit where the sky is clear and away from the crowd.
4. How far is Guilin from Fenghuang ?
5. Is it possible to take a flight or train or taxi or bus from Guilin to Fenghuang and how many hours needed ?

Aug 25, 2008 21:04
  • ELLYSE
1) Yes.
2) Yes, at least for about 3-5 days at the start of May.
4) No train station at Fenghuang (the nearest is Jishou, next nearest is Huaihua) so rail distance would be redundant. No airport either so flight distance would also be redundant. Road distance is roughly 510 km.
5) Most direct way would probably be to take a train for Guilin -- Huaihua then change to bus to get to Fenghuang. Figure on about 10.5 hours for the train ride then about 2+ hours for the bus ride.
Mar 11, 2009 06:37
  • LOLLO
hello there is trains to sanjiang from huaihua or jishou? which station is better?
or there is any bus for same directions??
Mar 11, 2009 08:33
  • ELLYSE
Jishou -- Sanjiang:
2011 (1936--0108) 5h32min
1473 (2026--0134) 5h08min

Huaihua -- Sanjiang:
K652/K653 (0946--1347) 4h01min
K585/K588 (1029--1508) 4h39min
2011 (2115--0109) 3h53min
1473 (2205--0134) 3h29min

I don't know what would be "better" for you. Huaihua is further from Fenghuang, but there're more train choices there, especially those that don't arrive in Sanjiang at odd hours of the night.
Mar 13, 2009 04:57
  • LOLLO
thank you very much!!!!
j have another question for you..
the train stations of zhangjiajie, huaihua and jishou are very busy? is difficult for me italian men buy the ticket train by myself without lose much time?

my tour is: arrive in zhangjiajie,in the night by plain, sleep in the city and in the morning take a train for jishou.then take a bus for dehang visit the village and the day after come back to jishou by bus and take another bus for fenghuang.sleep there and go to huaihua for take a TRAIN for sanjiang.
what about??
Mar 13, 2009 09:42
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Lollo,
Can I ask why you are going to so much trouble to visit Dehang?

You are visiting one of the most interesting areas of China and it would seem to that don't have sufficient time to explore it all.

You will miss the spectacular scenery of Zhangjiajie, the surrounding villages of Fenghuang -all this in three days??

How long will you spend around Sanjiang? Again there is a lot to see there too.

Cheers
J
Mar 13, 2009 17:40
  • LOLLO
hi jabarotoo
j wan t to visit dehang because is nice village and near fenghuang so j have two places in short distance..
j want to stay max 4 days and j not sure to go in spectacular scenery of Zhangjiajie because for trekking in the need a lot of time!!! and the weather in this moment???is good???

in sanjang,longsheng yangshou 4-5 days

and y want to visit by plain pingyao and datong 3 days

pechino 2-3 days

this is a very little time...j know
Apr 27, 2009 05:51
GUEST15576 I need to get from Guilin to Guiyang by road in 2-3 days , please can someone tell me what transport is available , buses , routes costs I only have 2 days 2 nights from Guilin to Guiyang then from Guiyang to Chengdu by overnight train please can someone help , gmail.com|kvkellylee
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: more specific question about train,bus, plane and getting around from guilin to fenghuang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code