Menu
Is marriage a Besieged Fortress?
Jul 10, 2007 01:52
  • KATRINA
Have you ever read the pupular novel Besieged Fortress written by a renowned Chinese scholar Qian Zhongshu? In his novel, Mr Qian portrays the marriage life of middle-aged intellectuals. He compares marriage to a besieged fortress:

"Marriage is like a besieged fortress, those who are in want to jump out, those who are outside want to jump in."

Having heard of Seven Year's Itch, I wonder whether we all have a contradictory attitude toward Marriage.

Is marriage really a besieged fortress?
Jul 10, 2007 02:05
Marriage is a wonderful institution, but it requires both parties to work at keeping it that way.
My ex -wife left me after 7 years because I was always at work, I have missed out so much of my daughter growing up because of it.
I hope when I get married in October, I will do things differently this time round.
Jul 10, 2007 02:36
  • KEVIN0518
I read this novel, very interesting. I agree with Westnorwodgas. Marriage needs both parties manage together. Those who failed in their marriage actually are not a good 'manager'.
Jul 10, 2007 09:42
  • LIONPOWER
marriage, a banyan tree whose BODY tightly compacted with EARTH, but have many branches and leaves too. So ~ ?
Jul 10, 2007 20:52
  • LEOPOLD219
"marriage, a banyan tree whose BODY tightly compacted with EARTH, but have many branches and leaves too" A good analogy, this tree also needs some nutrients.
Jul 11, 2007 20:24
  • YVONNE
Marriage, a besieged fortress, terrible !

Some people say that marriage is tomb for love, because once married the passion would decrease.

Some others even believed marriage is a trap for both men and women.

Is marriage a trap?
Jul 12, 2007 02:01
Marriage is only a trap if both parties fail to work together.
Yvonne, I take it you are still single, please think possitive, many couples do enjoy successful marriages.
Jul 13, 2007 01:29
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Yes, marriage is a besieged fortress.Or, to say, it is a jungle or a maze. The two parties are easy to get lost. So marriage is a journey. You have to hold a compass so that you can go on the journey without being lost. Anyway, what is the compass in marriage? Love, responsibility, making a living, mutual understanding or something else?
Jul 13, 2007 12:05
  • LIONPOWER
FRANKENSTEIN,
Thanks for your opinion. Yes, we should follow these after marry.
Jul 13, 2007 22:26
  • GRYOKAN
There seems to be more pitfalls in marriage than bliss ? But couples hasten to get hitched & it seems not right not to do so.
I am still waiting to get hitched. This frightens and confuse me.
Jul 15, 2007 19:59
  • LEONARDO
Well, GRYOKAN, don't be scared. Marriage is not so frightening as long as you take it serious. Frictions and quarrels are inevitable in marriage. If you have resolved to marry a girl, you have to be ready to tolerate your future wife's frailty since nobody is infallible.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is marriage a Besieged Fortress?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code