Menu
How to handle Mid-life Crisis?
Jan 25, 2008 07:01
  • TIGERPAUL
If a mid life crisis is wanting to give up your job to go travelling in a far flung country by motorbike, then I am having one already, and I'm only 33!

I dont think that is a crisis at all, it's just an adventure.

In the past, people got married and had kids in the early twenties (mostly) ans so by the age of 45-50 their kids had grown up and left home, the mortgage was paid and then guys re-assessed their lives. They were probably bored, becoming aware they might only have 20 or so useful years of their lives left. That is when the mid life crisis should occur, when they want to get a last bit of excitement and adrenalin out of their lives.

That is when silly decisions may be made, such as leaving the faithful wife to chase a bit of young skirt.

I think that a lot of blokes are marrying and having kids later in life now, so we are doing a lot more adventuring and travelling and grabbing excitement earlier in our lives. I dont think I will have a mid life crisis, because I wont need one!
Jan 26, 2008 19:01
  • APAULT
It's only a crisis if you can't handle the issues in an appropriate way.
Jan 29, 2008 21:30
GUEST8823 A report reveals that extra-marital affairs are the biggest threat to Chinese middle-aged couples. A large proportion of Chinese middle-class couples choose to handle "Mid-life Crisis" through having a crush on " a third parter". Some of them kept several mistress out of wedlock. China's monogamy system is being challenged.
Jan 29, 2008 21:52
  • MARRIE
guest, just focuse on psychological cause here. (sure biological is the other reason and it applies to every race)

(source: http://www.malehealth.co.uk)

Psychological causes for MEN

While the Reggie Perrin stereotype is richly comic, it isn't difficult to see that in real-life cases such drastic behaviour may be motivated by deeper issues that are all too serious. Many of us are aware of feelings of disillusionment and irritability setting in in middle age, attributable perhaps to a heightened sense of our own mortality and/or feelings of dissatisfaction at the way life has turned out. Very often such gloomy insights are brought on by a specific trigger: a redundancy or divorce, perhaps, or a more trivial event like a milestone birthday.

In a society which puts a particularly high value on youth, and sidelines older people, it's difficult for many people to move smoothly into their middle years. Men reaching mid-life may feel a loss of masculinity and confusion about their future role. Divorce, insecurity at work and the changing role of men add to the uncertainty many feel during this time of transition.

Many men find the changes in sexual function which come with getting older unsettling. Suddenly, you can't do it three times a night any more, it's harder to get an erection… is this the start of the slippery slope? And where will it end?

By middle age, men may have achieved most of their realistic goals and be unclear about their future direction. Relationships may also change, and are often adversely affected, especially when children leave the parental home.

Men are better educated, healthier and likely to live longer when they enter mid-life than at any time in the past. This can lead to a greater degree of reflection, and often, introspection, on what has happened during the first part of life and what the future holds.

Sleep may be another factor. According to a report in the Journal of the American Medical Association, mid-life crises may be linked with a growing inability to sleep deeply. Men in their 30s and 40s sleep far more patchily and lightly than in younger years – even when they sleep the same number of hours as before. By the age of 45, according to the report, few manage deep sleep at all, leading them to grow fatter and more unfit because they cease to generate growth hormone.

Jan 30, 2008 21:26
  • GARYKINKADE
Yup, yup, and yup...........as this was an UK article, I guess it applies to western culture values. Will the Chinese culture eventually follow this pattern? I ask that because it was my understanding that the children took care of their parents(either the parents lived with them or they with the parents) in the Chinese households and also that that the Chinese people were not as "hyper" as the Westerners.(Well ,where in the*********did I ever hear or come to that conclusion?)
Jan 31, 2008 09:36
  • MARRIE
Gary, when children get married, they don't live with parents but usually live in the same city. They pay each other frequent visit to each other and take care of each other. Is there any diffrence on that between North American and China.

Senior nursing residence is more with population aging in Shanghai, how do you look at this if letting old parents who cannot do self attendance live in senior house.
Jan 31, 2008 11:30
  • GARYKINKADE
If both the child(children) and their spouse(s) work then there aren't too many other choices left. Are the senior homes state controlled or private, or a mixture of both? If state run then I would guess that the cost to the children (or parents) would be less (based on salaries or assets) than the private senior homes.
Jan 31, 2008 11:36
  • GARYKINKADE
Yes Marrie.......We (for the most part) visit our parents also and try to take care of them when time permits.
Jan 31, 2008 12:49
  • MARRIE
senior home run by state and their pension can afford it.

the moral issue arising in Cn from if they lose ability of self care, children pay extra $ for private care giver or just send them to senior house.

Feb 2, 2008 20:23
  • YVONNE
Whoever is too well off always wants to try something different! IMO, this belief can well explain the Mid-life crisis among Chinese middle-aged people. For those Chinese who are around 45 today, growing up in poor conditions( in 1950s-1960s), now they live well off. They want to try something different. Having extramarital affair becomes a popular phenomenon. That's my one yuan.
Page 5 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to handle Mid-life Crisis?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code