Menu
Traditional Chinese Festivals VS Western Festivals
Jul 12, 2007 01:54
  • LEOPOLD219
Since China's opening up to the world in late 1970s, western cultures flooded into China. Some foreign festivals were also imported to China, and became very popular rapidly. At the same time, some traditional Chinese festivals such as Dragon Boat Festival, Double Seventh Festival and Qingming Festival have declined. Some people concludes that traditional Chinese Festiavals have been overshadowed by goreign festivals. For instance, China's Double Seventh Festival has been overshadowed by the Valentine's Day, the Spring Festival by Christmas Day. Some conservatives even call this trend " the Western Cultural Invasion".

Is it a kind of Cultural Invasion? or cultural assimilation?
Jul 12, 2007 02:09
I think it's good we can all embrace each others cultural festivals as long as our own traditional ones remain.
Jul 12, 2007 03:12
  • LOSTLOST
People are always interested in new things, so Chinese people like western festivals. But I think this is temporary and they will come back to their own culture when they are tired of western festivals.
Jul 13, 2007 22:28
  • GRYOKAN
I hope so, LOSTLOST. It is quite frightening to see the way things are going in China - a desperate embracement of anything western.
Oct 23, 2007 21:31
GUESTISSABELLE I think it's dangerous for Chinese to pass down traditional cultural heritage. I oppose the trend.As every indepedent country ,wo should preseve our feature culture. However,wo also abbsorb western advantagous things.first of all,wo should keep a balance! don't you?
Oct 24, 2007 15:50
  • GRIZ326
Thanksgiving is the only US "festival" that I look forward to each year. I have very little interest in the rest of them.
Nov 4, 2007 02:35
  • PETERSEAFORD
here in Australia we are very fortunate - a very young country and the population comprises of all nations and their customs .
we all get on well together .
of recient time though some radicals of a religion have emerged to cause a threat to all of us who do not wish to conform to their ideas.

thank God they have not caused death here as in some countries but our government will need to be much firmer if a disaster is not to develope in the near future.

everybody understands that the mums and dads who are brave enough to migrate here may find it difficult to adjust but we usually find that their children are dinkum Aussies.

unfortunatly a few ethnic groups prefer to remain segregated for all their generations because of their restrictive beliefs

we have a wonderful China Town in melbourne - well loved by us all and they have rich customs that we love as well

regards peter
Nov 4, 2007 21:41
  • JIMMYB
Quote:
"here in Australia we are very fortunate - a very young country and the population comprises of all nations and their customs .we all get on well together .of recient time though some radicals of a religion have emerged to cause a threat to all of us who do not wish to conform to their ideas."

PETERSEAFORD,

I have heard that Austrialia is a country of immigrants. Is Autrialia a melting port? Although America claimed that it is the greatest melting port in the world, I am wondering how is the "melting pot" fuctioning in Austrialia. Though you have mentioned parts of melting pot's function in Australia, I want to know what are the "native white aussies' attitude towards the " Colored Immigrants" from other continents.
Nov 5, 2007 01:47
Today is one of Englands festive customs Guy Fawkes Night, for those who don't know English history on the 5th November 1605 Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament to rid the country of it's Protestant Government and it's King James the1st, this was known as The Gunpowder Plot, this was foiled and he was captured and executed on the 31st January 1606, every year Children make up a dummy which they then display on the streets and ask for "a penny for the guy"
which they then buy fireworks to be let off on the 5th of November, the dummy is put onto a bonfire and everyone enjoys the firework display.
Alan.
Nov 5, 2007 03:15
  • LEOPOLD219
West,
I have heard about the festival. The conspiracy failed. Is the festival also called " Bonfire Night"?
Nov 5, 2007 04:28
  • DODGER
Jimmy,
There are no ‘white native Aussies” as we are all immigrants. Some new and some old. You are all welcome to join us if you hold the same values.
There is still some minor conflicts with people of different colour and creed.
But as a small country in terms of population and an immigration policy that most do not have, the country is doing well.
Come and join us by the Barbie.
Dodger
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Traditional Chinese Festivals VS Western Festivals
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code