Menu
Traditional Chinese Festivals VS Western Festivals
Nov 5, 2007 05:21
Leopold, you are correct, I also forgot to mention we also prepare various foods to be eaten while we watch the fireworks,
I should say thanks to China for inventing to fireworks in the first place.

Jimmy,
Dodger didn't mention that the early settlers in Australia many were convicts shipped out of Britain.
Alan.
Nov 6, 2007 04:08
  • DODGER
Alan,
Australia has been described as Essex with sunshine. Perhaps they should have sent more convicts?
Good luck with your two week summer, if it comes.
Dodger.
Nov 6, 2007 06:17
Well it's winter now and yet it's sunny today a bit parky with the wind though.
As for the " Convicts " yeh we could do with getting rid of a few more, the jails are full.
Alan.
Nov 6, 2007 07:15
In my experience Australians are very welcoming to peoples from around the world, though they seem to take exception to New Zealanders, who may be more likely to be found on the barbie than by it!

:-)
Nov 6, 2007 08:15
The best way to wind our Aussie friends is to ask them what part of New Zealand they come from? they bite every time, he he
Lucky for me my Aussie friends seem to like me, I suppose someone has to, he he ( got there before you Dodger! )
Alan.
Dec 23, 2008 00:16
GUEST26216 NO. We are still love our traditional Chinese festivals .And we also will accept the Western Festivals.I think we should share our respective holiday spirit.Do you?
Dec 30, 2008 08:54
  • APAULT
I still don't understand why Chinese have embraced Christmas, a Christian festival yet few are Christians. Instead the International New Year is non religious and truly international (and in no way diminishes the value of Chinese New Year).
Jan 2, 2009 10:43
  • YINDUFFY
Under Mao, cultural festivals were not sanctioned and the Communist theory of a clean break with the past remaking society meant that many traditions and festivals were stifled if not halted altogether.
Hong Kong and Taiwan residents carried on with their traditions while mainland residents conformed to the new party approved rituals ( like getting married in a workplace and wearing only a big red fake flower as a sign of the celebration.)
Especially since the Cultural Revolution, Mainland residents have had to learn about their own countries rich heritage of cultural festivals the same time Western cultural activities were introduced like Christmas and Valentines day.
Today the youth picks and chooses holidays and festivals while the Central Government has had to reactivate cultural activities almost forgotten. Some ancient skills were almost lost if not for the strong will of some individuals to pass on traditions in spite of fears. Recently a bow-maker was documented as the last surviving craftsman who is now officially recognized as a national treasure. His Father had to hide tools and even break and hide a bow during the cultural revolution.
Today China is actively seeking out its history and heritage trying to make up for the lost years. Western ideas are chosen by some.
Dec 24, 2009 03:54
GUEST12561 Some people point out that the youngsters are misled by the market sellers, who exert great efforts to advertise and propagate their products and provide all kinds services related to the west festivals. And the young people are just following the trends indiscriminately. It will cost them an arm and a leg to buy the gifts, which is especially inappropriate for the campus students. Some stores hold contest of kissing, in which the couple who kiss each longest will be rewarded. Many young people including the students take part in it
Sep 18, 2011 22:18
GUEST21420 Thanks for all of your and your opinions. As a Chinese girl, I accept western culture as a necessary part of my knowledge. I like western festivals and it is a good way to know other parts of the earth better. Chinese traditional festivals would never be forgotten even we choose to celebrate western festivals.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Traditional Chinese Festivals VS Western Festivals
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code