Menu
Chinese citizenship
Jul 15, 2007 05:29
  • MAPLELEAF1
Being a Canadian citizen and married to a Chinese national am I able to aquire Chinese citizenship? Is so any ideas where to start the process? Thanks, Dave
Jul 15, 2007 05:55
  • JABAROOTOO
Write to the Chinese Embassy nearest to you in Canada
Jul 16, 2007 19:52
  • MAY001
According to the NATIONALITY LAW OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA:

Article 7
Foreign nationals or stateless persons who are willing to abide by China's Constitution and laws and who meet one of the following conditions may be naturalized upon approval of their applications:
(1) they are near relatives of Chinese nationals;
(2) they have settled in China; or
(3) they have other legitimate reasons.

Article 8
Any person who applies for naturalization as a Chinese national shall
acquire Chinese nationality upon approval of his application; a person
whose application for naturalization as a Chinese national has been
approved shall not retain foreign nationality.
Jul 17, 2007 05:16
  • DODGER
As a Canadian passport is easier to travel on ( EU) I sugest that you keep it and apply for residency papers.Having a Chinese Wife would make this easy.
Jul 17, 2007 20:21
  • BBQQ
If you want a permanent residency card, you must apply it after marring your wife for 5 years.
Jul 18, 2007 00:51
  • LIONPOWER
BBQQ,
Where you get this information?
Aug 28, 2007 05:58
  • APAULT
I will be surprised if u get it unless you make exceptional investment in the economy!
Aug 27, 2008 08:16
GUEST86271 can i marry a chinese woman as foreigner and becomea chinese citizen
Aug 29, 2008 04:37
  • APAULT
86271.... please read the posts above. In theory yes, in practice it seems unlikely.
Aug 29, 2008 21:06
  • BARONTWANGLE
Ok there are two issues here, and they seem to be getting confused with each other. It is my understanding that it is not difficult to become a Chinese citizen. There are basic conditions, but these are easily met. The problem is that to gain Chinese citizenship, you must surrender your existing citizenship (you are not allowed to hold dual nationality in China). Seeing it is quite difficult to travel on a Chinese passport, you would need to apply for a visa just to go to visit your hometown!

I think Apault is referring to the Green Card, which gives a foreign national the same rights as a Chinese one (basically dual nationality except you don't have a Chinese passport). To get this is extremely difficult, with strict conditions set. Even if you are able to meet the conditions, less than 0.05% of applications get approved.

Sep 1, 2008 08:14
  • APAULT
It is my understanding that it is very difficult to get Chinese citizenship so clearly one of us is wrong (!!) and secondly I was under the impression that there is no such thing as a green card (but if there is and it is as rarely granted as the Baron says then it really amounts to the same thing). I thought that most foreigners married to locals were on tourist (L) visas - 'visiting family member' or F (business) visas.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese citizenship
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code