Menu
Are Chinese people more considerate than Amerians?
Jul 21, 2007 09:33
  • GRYOKAN
I am confused. WHen I studied geography in my younger days, I was taught that there are North & South Americas. North America is made up principally of Canada, USA and maybe Mexico(?). So am I now hearing that peopel of USA are Americans but Canadians are not ?
Politeness and love have got nothing to do with being individualistic or collectiveness.
Jul 23, 2007 02:12
  • TEKNOMED
Quote - " In a collective culture, people are encourgaed to think of community and other group before oneself"

In theory yes but my experience in China showed me the exact the opposite behaviour among the Chinese people. The are selfish and self centred, concern only about themselves and their own families. Any deed they do for the community and other group is either because of the authorites' regulations or instructions or they want their peers or community to notice their magnanimity. No charity from their heart or vountarily.

Jul 23, 2007 16:51
  • GRIZ326
In 1978 I would have said Chinese people are absolutely more considerate than westerners. My most recent trips left me thinking that there is no difference between east and west on this point. In fact, I witnessed a good bit of dog-eat-dog behavior in the last two trips to China.
Jul 23, 2007 20:30
  • MAY001
Yes, Griz, you are right. Actually I believe human beings are born to be evil, selfish and self-centered. Only education and moralise can help us to become better and better. Sadly, not every Chinese can receive better education. Plus, drastic competition in the society makes more people wilder.
Jul 29, 2007 22:36
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Well, May, based on what you said, you seems to be a Christian. Your belief is quite different from Chinese traditional philosophy. The classic Three-character Scripture states that people are born to be kind. I think so. It is the environment that affects people's attitudes toward life and universe. Living in an individualistic culture, you will be propelled to be egocentric.
Jul 30, 2007 03:20
  • KEVIN0518
I do not know whether people are born to be evil or kind. It is a question like : Eggs or chickens, which appear first? But I know clearly that the surroundings plays an very important role in molding your personalities. There do exist Chinese people who are self-fish or self centered. Also western people are kind and considerate.
Jul 30, 2007 05:49
We all have our good points and our bad ones, the important thing is we all get along.
Jul 30, 2007 13:32
  • LIONPOWER
I feel, education turns us individualist. Less educated people, less individualist.
Jul 30, 2007 17:30
  • CHYNAGYRL
education gives us ideas... people with no ideas have no choice but to follow those who do have thoughts.
Jul 30, 2007 22:44
  • LEONARDO
It seems that being egocentric is education's fault. Can education teach us how to become more considerate rather than become egocentric?
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese people more considerate than Amerians?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code