Menu
Are Chinese people more considerate than Amerians?
Jul 18, 2007 04:50
  • ZOEY
A report from the ScienceDaily states that it is more difficult for Americans to understand others's viewpoints than for Chinese people.

A psychologist from Chicago University says that Americans and other westerners seldom view things standing in others' position, which may hinder the effective communication.

In the report, the researcher take Chinese people and American peple as examples and compares the two. He concludes that Chinese people are more thoughtful than Americans because Chinese people live in a collectivism culture, while the Americans live in a culture emfhasizing the individualism. In a collectivism culture, people are encouraged to think of community and other social groups before oneself. While, individualism gives prominence to one's personal benefits, and people are more ego-centric. So, people who live in collectivism culture are more considerate that those live in an individualism culture.

What's your opinion?
Jul 18, 2007 06:56
I do not agree with the psychologists analysis. I think people are just as likely to be able to consider other people's viewpoints, whether they have been brought up in a collectivist or individualist culture.

I suspect it is just that many people are not good at it, regardless of background, and that one's ability to take another's viewpoint depends on some experience of that person's situation.

The failing that the psycologist is finding in the western, and particularly US example, may be more linked to the fact that the US lifestyle is remote and relatively isolated from that of the rest of the world, whereas the rest of the world is provided with an unparalleled window into the US livestyle through the efforts of Hollywood & the US TV entertainment industry.

Just my opinion.

Jul 18, 2007 08:09
  • JCNILE123
if the question is collectivism (Chinese people) versus individualism (American people)

the answer is yes.
Jul 18, 2007 11:14
  • JABAROOTOO
Having lived in China now for four years I have to say that I see many many examples of lack of consideration, compassion and understanding in many different situations.

I don't agree with the report at all. And I personally believe that a collective society does not take into consideration what the individual is feeling, needs or wants. In it's purest sense, everyone is treated equally but of course we are all different and in reality this does not work too well.

Just my opinion.......................
Jul 18, 2007 12:22
  • JCNILE123
Miss Jabarootoo, i think your answer is very intelectual in nature and i most admit it, i like it very much.

Jul 18, 2007 19:49
  • ZOEY
Jabarootoo, you are probably right. It is undeniable that some Chinese people are also lack of consideration and compassion though they lived in a collective society. BUT, we can not deny the fact that generally speaking , collectivist culture advocates the priority of others; while individualism emphasizes that individual benefits is the priority. So, most people who live in a collective society are more thoughtful than those who live in a individualist culture.
Jul 18, 2007 23:44
  • GRYOKAN
I agree with the Report & Zoey.
I have lived in China for 6 years, Australia for 4 years and in CA/USA for 16 yrs and in another country for the balance years. I cannot agree more with that finding - ie generally, westerners/whites are brought up to be more individualistic. Of course, there are exception but we are not discussing about particular individuals.
Jul 19, 2007 04:38
  • TRAVELDREAM
Agree with Travellermike.
Jul 19, 2007 19:50
  • LEONARDO
Being thoughtful means that you have to think of others before yourself. At this point, Chinese people are more considerate and thougtful than Americans.
Jul 19, 2007 20:14
  • BBQQ
Sometimes it's not a good thing that Chinese people consider too much what others think. Especially our friends, relatives, neighbours, colleagues, etc..
Jul 21, 2007 09:15
  • CHYNAGYRL
Can you please not put all Westerners in the same category? Canadians are not the same as Americans. >:-( I find that many Australians and Americans have similar communication style (brash, straight forward), while Canadians are too polite and apathetic. We're passive, whereas Americans are aggressive. Canadians and Kiwis have a lot in a common, and Brits or Irish are not the same as Americans either!

In Asian society people are nice out of "duty", whereas in Canada people are nice because they really want to. If they like you, they'll help you, if they don't want to, they won't help you. Chinese people (I find) place greater importance on their families, which is good, but they don't care about lots of people (ie disabled people). Chinese families understand well that love involves sacrifice of your own desires sometimes for the good of the whole, that aspect of having responsibility for others. ie. However, my parents told me that you can be responsible for someone but not love them that much. Love also means allowing others the freedom to achieve their own hopes and dreams, ie removing your expectations from them and allowing them to follow their own path.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese people more considerate than Amerians?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code