Jul 20, 2007 08:08
  • SIDR
that's Chairman Mao.
Jul 20, 2007 12:54
  • KSWONG
No, that's President Bush.
Jul 23, 2007 04:26
  • KAIOTEE
That's Chairman Mao Zedong (deceased 1976), but where did you hear it was Hu Jintao?
Aug 11, 2007 14:34
  • LONESOMEDOVE
Is RMB the same as yuan? Is it better to exchange money at banks than ATMs?
Aug 13, 2007 03:28
  • APAULT
RMB is the same as Yuan and the same as Kwai (the colloquial term).

I have always found that I get good exchange rates using the ATM, but of course you have to consider your bank's fee. I have in the past opened an account with the bank offering the cheapest overseas withdrawl rates. IF you change at banks you also have fees :( If you are staying long enough, open a local account, but you might waste a day doing it.

Aug 15, 2007 11:09
  • NICKYANC
Airports in China have good rates.(better than Australia)My advice to you is to have cash with you all the time doesn't matter where you exchange because not all ATM in China will accept your cards and when you need it most you won't find one.It happend to us when we went to an acrobatic show in Beijing we runout of cash and was hard to find an ATM that accepted our c.card espacialy at 9pm
Aug 15, 2007 11:39
  • RONDRUM42
When I was in Harbin I exchanged my money at the bank. I got like 7.5RMB per dollar!
There are several opportunities to exchange your money at the airports too. Good Luck
Sep 3, 2007 08:10
  • YINDUFFY
My advice is to take some Yuan currency with you but make the bulk of your conversions in China. Quite a few banks will do it but they may ask to see your passport so bring it along. When you get the bills, take a close look at them and do not accept any bills that are worn, torn, have writing or stickers on them. Chinese merchants (even in big stores and fancy restaurants) will closely examine the bills and even look for the watermarks. They may refuse a bill or two if they have suspicions. Don't be offended. It is a common practice and not limited to foreigners or tourists.
Coins are hardly ever used but the smaller denominations in paper are. The bills are all different sizes and no one uses a wallet. They just pull out a wad of mixed bills and peel off the ones they need. In practice,100 Yuan notes are very popular, just as our $20 bills are. Larger denominations should be avoided. Just as using a $50.00 bill in McDonald's will raise eyebrows.
Keep your "pocket money" separate from your reserves so you don't show too much money when you buy stuff.
I have found that keeping a few $1.00 bills for gifts is handy. Most Chinese have never seen U.S. currency but they sure have heard about it!
Good Luck!
Sep 3, 2007 11:04
  • SUSAN205060
Hi,Mario,

We suggest you to change money CAD150~200 firstly then you can pay all kinds of bill after your arrival. For balance amount, you can change when you need RMB after you arrive.

Enjoy your trip!

Yours sincerley,
Susan Zheng(China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060

Sep 3, 2007 11:06
  • SUSAN205060
Hi,Mario,

We suggest you to change money CAD150~200 firstly then you can pay all kinds of bill after your arrival. For balance amount, you can change when you need RMB after you arrive.

Enjoy your trip!

Yours sincerley,
Susan Zheng(China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060

Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Change money before or when i'm there?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code