Menu
China's Domestic Violence On the Rise
Jul 20, 2007 02:20
  • LEONARDO
In recent years, the cases of domestic violence have been on the rise in China. Most women who are abused at home by their husbands could only submit to humiliation or turn to All China Women's Federation for help.

According to a report released by All China Women's Federation, in the past two years, the federation handled over 50,000 cases of domestic violence, and the average annual growth rate was 70%. There were about 40,000 families breaking up due ot domestic violence.

Very often, the cases were not handled very effectively and efficiently, since All China Women's Federation is not a powerful law enforcement structure. (It is a Non-governmental organization.)

In order to crack down on domestic violence, a new law will be passed to allow the police to intervene in domestic violence.

The contributory factors of domestic violence may vary, but the inrooted
"androcentrism" should be mainly responsible.

Hi, friends, does domestic violence exist in your country? Have the cases of domestic violence happened in your neighborhood?

Jul 20, 2007 02:53
Yes, it does, it's a big problem and it's not always the man abusing his wife, it sometimes is visa versa though not many men would admitit.
Nobody should be subject to abuse of any shape or form.
Jul 20, 2007 08:48
  • GRIZ326
It happens a lot. Many police agencies in the States respond slowly to domestic calls because these events are among the most dangerous incidents for police officers.
Jul 23, 2007 01:11
  • JIMMYB
Domestic violence has become a serious social problem in almost all countries. It seems that in the familes both husabands and wives are inclinded to torture the ones who they have ever had a strong passion for. I think no one likes a torturer. So, don't be a toturer. Instead, try to be a nice person.
Jul 23, 2007 02:18
I agree Jimmy, my own brother in law has been to prison her domestic violence, he will never learn, he is a coward and will only fight people he knows will not be able to fight back.
Jul 23, 2007 02:58
  • TEKNOMED
Domestic violence is a universal problem. Maybe it is due to pressure created by the "rat race". These people can't take the pressure and vent it out on the weaker person in the family, usually the spouse and children. Locking them up do not help. What these people need are professional help and counselling.
Jul 23, 2007 22:55
  • LEONARDO
TEKNOMED, you are probably right for saying that "Maybe it is due to pressure created by the "rat race". These people can't take the pressure and vent it out on the weaker person in the family, usually the spouse and children."

However, I still want to question those who vent their anger on their spouses and children. Do you want to show how powerful you are? If so, once blamed by your boss suffer great pressure from others, don't vent your anger on your spouse and children but find other ways to vent your anger. Otherwise, you are still not powerful and brave; you are still a coward since you bully the weak.
Jul 24, 2007 01:42
I wouldn't say the "rat race" is anything to do with my brother in law's case, he is an alcolholic just like his late father was, violence seems to the norm to his family, all his family have been in trouble with the police over the years.
If he lived in London like I do, then I might agree, but back home in Somerset life is much slower and more laid back, they don't know what the "rat race " is!
Jul 29, 2007 22:21
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Who are the victims of domestic violence? In most cases, Women. But, some people told me that men are also some victims of domestic violence. It's hard for me to believe it, I have never found any man was abused or tortured by his wife. Have you ever witnessed or heared of such cases?
Jul 29, 2007 23:09
  • LIONPOWER
Zhao,
Yes, have.
Jul 30, 2007 21:15
  • LEONARDO
Probably have, but It's never been easy for me to believe it, because I have never seen the case in my own eyes. Seeing is believing.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China's Domestic Violence On the Rise
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code