Menu
Am I wrong about this???
Aug 26, 2007 12:46
  • CLAUDIUS
In Singapore, we do need to produce our ID even when we check into a motel or use a hotel room during the day. But then, Singapore do take 'freedom' seriously and sensitively, so its seems natural to me that such rules exist in all parts of China.

One of my most memorable lesson during my law class was on the topic of freedom versus laws on restricting freedom. Apparently like you mentioned, if a police officer comes up to you asking for your business on a street, you can't really answer with 'I am doing nothing'. Loitering with intent seems to be an oxymoron as loitering IS without intent. I can understand what you meant about tents, the point being having a private space yet subjected to public security rules.

Its probably an intented 'grey area' within the laws that allows an officer to hurl anyone up for questioning if there is any hint of suspicion. And such grey areas are abundant in China in many other contexts, which leave a lot of room for the 'freedom' to exercise law, by the government.
Aug 29, 2007 21:15
  • VALMINX
In the UK we hae to show a credit/debit card to book into a hotel - but in my experience this is more to make sure that the bill gets paid when you leave rather than wanting to know who you are etc.
Sep 2, 2007 19:21
  • GRIZ326
There is no question that the credit card is used to assure the bill can be paid and that damages are covered, however, the use of that information does not always end there.
Sep 6, 2007 23:04
  • CLAUDIUS
Griz is right, since there is no requirement for foreigners to present a credit card, which is inevitably tie to your identity and completely trace-able, most of the hotels in China require your identity, plus a full payment and deposit upfront for the hotel charges. Although the better hotels are able to practise credit card payment, they will still be required under law to register any foreigner in resident.
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Am I wrong about this???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code