Menu
Am I wrong about this???
Aug 8, 2007 04:49
  • APAULT
As I booked into the hotel last night I thought of you Griz! bet you don't have to show an ID in the US!
Aug 8, 2007 09:02
  • GRIZ326
Yes Paul, most hotels/motels require that you provide both a creditcard and driver's license. There may still be a few hotels that will rent you a room with just cash money, but I none that I've stayed in lately. They even asked for my ID to put up a tent at a lake I visited.
Aug 8, 2007 10:55
Is that in case you were caught loitering within tent Griz?
Aug 11, 2007 03:54
  • APAULT
Wow, Griz,

haha, clever Westnalltherest
Aug 14, 2007 04:13
  • KSWONG
I think one of the reasons why they ask for foreigner's ID or passport for hotel check-in's is that they will be held liable in case anything happens.

There was a case where some Japanese tour group came for an orgy at a Zhuhai hotel. The pimp and the organiser of the event were caught and duly executed. And the Japanese tourists scooted off back to their home country but they were nonetheless blacklisted from ever entering China again. (I am recalling from memory so I may not remember the facts 100%).
Aug 14, 2007 06:57
Blimey, I'm glad I don't go there for an orgy.
Aug 14, 2007 11:27
  • GRIZ326
The pimp and organizer of the event would have won the William Jefferson Clinton award in this country and the participants punished. ;-) My tongue is planted in my cheek as I say that...but our legal system is truly upside down more often than not. ...but it sounds as if China's system can meander off the path pretty easily too.
Aug 23, 2007 02:36
  • APAULT
It is a legal requirement in China to show id for a hotel. On one overnight train journey I was on, travellers had to produce id's. That was a year ago.
Aug 24, 2007 12:25
  • CLAUDIUS
Guys, I've just returned from a round trip from Shanghai - Wuhan - Jingzhou - Wuhan - Shanghai and back home sitting next the tv now. Was quite surprised that this conversation had stretched this far, I mean no offence to Griz at all, but it is still rather interesting even to me to explore the Chinese culture right down to everyday's life for a normal Chinese person.

I believe since day one, all foreigners need to register somewhere once they enter China. Hotels will register you with a form given by the police department, you'll need to register within 3 days if you are renting an apartment, and so on. And Griz got a tent! haha that sort of side-step all those processes isn't it? Paul, I've got checked only during one of my overnight trips to Beijing as well.
Aug 25, 2007 08:02
  • APAULT
Yes Claudius but in most countries we do not have to produce an id to stay in a hotel...we prefer the police to be chasing criminals.

The 'loitering with in tent' was a joke, a pun. Loitering with intent is a low level crime in some countries... you are caught apparantly waiting to start a criminal activity. But as you can see loitering within tent... would be doing nothing inside a tent. Oh, jokes can be hard to explain across languages and cultures.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Am I wrong about this???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code