Menu
Spending Counterfeit Money
Jul 23, 2007 12:33
  • KAIOTEE
Voting is valid from Jul 23, 2007 12:33 to Jul 30, 2007 12:33 .
Multiple Vote
  1. 2 vote(s)
  2. 4 vote(s)
  3. This vote is invalid now.
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
There have been threads raised about counterfeit money in China, and unfortunately its easier than you think to get your hands on it. So are we in the wrong if we spend counterfeit money we were given as change?
Jul 23, 2007 13:05
Very very wrong... better by far to use your knowledge to help the authorities catch the bad guys!
Jul 23, 2007 19:42
  • LEONARDO
Absolutely wrong. I agree with Travellermike. We should help the authoroties crack down on counterfeiting money.
Jul 23, 2007 20:24
  • MAY001
But what if I were given by someone that I can't catch? I mean, I received a 100 yuan and days later I realized that it was a counterfeit money. What can I do to save my loss if I don't use it??
Jul 23, 2007 22:42
  • ZOEY
May, a good question. I believe that most people will use it to buy something. Few people will give it back to the bank.
Jul 24, 2007 11:51
  • GRIZ326
In the case of the 100 RMB note a merchant would not accept from me: I got the note from a Bank of China ATM if it was a bogus bill it was good enough for the Bank of China to pass along.

As for getting counterfeit money back from a taxi driver or other merchant, if it was good enough that I accepted it in change then it is good enough for me to spend. Just like everyone in China, I look at the money I get back in change and won't take a bill that looks wrong to my eyes.
Jul 24, 2007 15:03
May, you cannot save your loss... to buy from someone, with a note you know to be a forgery, is stealing from that person, so you must just take the loss. Hope for legal punishment of the source is your only possible means of satisfaction.

To my mind have only two choices:- either never look at your money, and therefore remain in blissful ignorance when you pass a forgery on (but also a natural victim for the forgers), or scrutinise every note you are given, and challenge anything you are unhappy with.

If anybody wants to refuse a note I offer when I am next in China I will fully respect their right to do so, and not make trouble for them just for that, but, mindful of the scams described in the other thread raised by KAIOTEE, if I was confident of the source of my original, and suspicious of the note returned to me by the trader, I would take time (even as a visitor to China) to bring that trader to the notice of the authorities.

Perhaps May you could give us some guidance, through your great series of language lessons, on how to report this crime when it occurs :-) even better revenge on the perpetrators to equip an army of visitors against them??

Jul 24, 2007 19:54
  • MAY001
TRAVELLERMIKE, actually I hate the person who spend counterfeit money. Because when I was in the university and had a part-time job, I received several fake 100 notes at that time. I was so depressed and angry when I realized that they were fake. So I never spend counterfeit money and check every note carefully. If you encounter counterfeit money, the best way is to call the police. Though there might be less evidence to punish the perpetrators...
Jul 24, 2007 19:57
  • MAY001
And I also sympathize on those who receive a fake money. Especially those who only earn a little each day.
Jul 24, 2007 23:59
  • KAIOTEE
Thanks for all the feedback guys (keep 'em comin'), I agree with May, for all those people who work their fingers to the bone for what we call a low pay, i have no choice but to feel sorry for them if they are paid with counterfeit notes. As i mentioned earlier in another thread, it is too easy to get your hands on these notes, but as much as i think that spending counterfeit money is wrong (and obviously illegal), honestly... that's your money that you worked for, and you deciding not to spend that money to stay honest to yourself and the country, its not going to stop the other 1.3 billion people doing it, so at the end of the day... where does that leave us with our fake red notes... and just to clarify one more time, i dont encourage the act of spending counterfeit notes IF you know you're doing it.
Jul 25, 2007 18:02
  • JCNILE123
Travellermike i think you put it as it is.

i dont want to be judgmental on peoples lines but reply # 3 is on the grey - dark line, and i quote, (what can i do to save my loss if i don't use it???)

on reply # 7 and # 8 the issue was not clearly touch, so i think.

and yes, if i have a counterfeit note and i know it and use it, that's stealing!!!! period.
so, i'm not better than the guy that make's the bogus money, i'm a thief too.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Spending Counterfeit Money
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code