Menu
Is it safe to bring expensive photography equipment?
Jul 24, 2007 13:10
  • JJASC
I'm going to china for three weeks and will be visiting the following cities: Hong Kong, Shenzen, Beijing, Shanghai, Hanzhou, Guangzhou, Guilin, Yangasho.

I'm a serious amature photographer and will be bringing about 5 thousand dollars of camera equipment (all stuffed into a vey very small camera backpack). The lenses, filters, accessories and Digital SLR camera will all be in the backpack, but my $800 carbon fiber tripod will be attached to the back of the backpack.

I'm a mite concerned with theft. The camera alone is probably worth more than many people make in a year there.

Do many chinese people have Digital SLR cameras? Perhaps they are common as dirt there. I really hope lots do because I don't want to stand out too much with my DLSR camera. I'm also worried that if I set up my tripod, attach my DSLR with all the filters, hoods, etc, I will get mobbed by curious people.

DO you guys have any comments on this?

Jul 24, 2007 15:14
  • GRIZ326
There is very little crime in China - however pick-pocketing and other forms of thievery sound common from hearing people talk about them (I've never had a problem). Because of the supposedly rampant pick-pocketing, there is a belief/saying that what you carry on your back is theirs and what you carry on your front is yours. That's a reference to people wearing backpacks backwards while walking around to prevent theft of their stuff.

If you are a serious photographer and will derive great pleasure from taking pictures of China, then you have to bring your camera equipment. ...and if your serious that means your gadget bag has to be full.

You will stick out like a sore-thumb with that kind of gear, but I do not believe you will be mobbed just because you are taking pictures. I probably saw only one or two tourist/photographers while I was traveling this summer and they were not carrying anything as fancy as what you describe.

Your gear will be at risk when you setup your tripod to take a perfect shot and forget about all of the stuff still on the ground in your pack. It is probably safe in your hotel room, unless it is a hostel (from the guests) or really low rents.

Be certain to bring a variety of haze filters because you'll need to cut some terribly thick pollution. Also keep in mind that China (every place I have been) is oppressively hot in the summer months so really try to travel light.
Jul 24, 2007 16:08
  • JJASC
I was hopping to travel about incognito with my stuff, but from what you say, I will probably stick out. I gather from your post that not very many chinese have DSLR either. I'm packing very light (all gear weighs about 13 lbs including the camera backpack & tripod), so weight won't be an issue.

When in the cities, I think I'm going to wear the backpack on my front to prevent theft. As far as leaving my gear on the ground while setting up the tripod--that won't be an issue since my tripod has a weight hook beneath it where I can hang my camera sack.

Thanks for the information.

Are cameras of any sorts common in china (i.e. the little point and shoot ones)?
Jul 25, 2007 00:26
  • JABAROOTOO
China probably gets more tourists than any other nation in the world and they are mostly domestic and they all carry a camera of sorts. I often see Chinese nationals (professional photographers) traveling around with very bulky and probably expensive camera kits taking photos in some of the most popular, interesting and off the beaten track places.

People with cameras won't be much interested in you. People without cameras won't be much interested in you either unless you start pointing it at them and then they will all be curious. tThis is the time to be careful but not of them thieving so much as someone else who is looking on.

Bus and train stations or hostels could also be a source of concern but just be prudent and you should have do difficulty.
Jul 25, 2007 10:07
  • KSWONG
Basically no one would bat an eyelid if you take out your expensive DSLR gear. The local photographers (as jabarootoo rightly pointed out) have even more expensive Hasselblads and other medium-format cameras.

I have travelled with expensive gears to the remotest parts of China without any incidents. The places u mentioned are considered "big cities" so u shld have no problems there.

But nonetheless exercise caution wherever u are. Don't let your guard down. That's basic common sense whichever country u go.

Jul 25, 2007 12:18
  • JJASC
Ok great. DSLR camers are common there, so it won't be a big issue then. That's a big relief.
Jul 25, 2007 21:38
  • FAERIEQUEENE
At the most beautiful spots you will meet many Chinese professional photographers.
Jul 25, 2007 22:49
lol very little crime? china has alot of crime you just dont know about it
Jul 26, 2007 01:34
  • BBQQ
O, REALLY? What kind of crime have you ever encounter when you are in China, 2468?
Jul 26, 2007 04:51
  • KSWONG
To give a fairer picture, there ARE crimes everywhere in every country. In China, it mostly concerns the locals eg underground gambling, corruption etc.

Serious crimes against western tourists are quite rare. U hardly hear of a local knocking over a western lady and grabbing her handbag like in some New York ghettoes, for instance.

Justice is swift in China, if caught for serious crimes, it's usually the firing squad.
Jul 28, 2007 02:42
there are alot of crimes dont you ever watch the news haha people always get robbed or people playing with knifes
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it safe to bring expensive photography equipment?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code