Menu
The best Chinatown in your eyes?
Jul 25, 2007 22:03
  • LEONARDO
Chinatown, a gathering place for Chinese expats, is a window of Chinese culture. In Chinatowns, you can taste typical Chinese delicacies, celebrate the Spring Festival,and enjoy Chinese folk music, etc.

There are thousands of Chinatowns all over the world. Which one is the best or the most beautiful you have ever seen? The Chinatown in New York, Paris, Sydney, London, Toronto, Los Angeles, San Francisco ? or elsewhere?

The criteria includes; the sanitary conditions, ( Are the streets clean and neat?) public security conditons( Is it safe to live there?), friendliness( are the Chinese expats friendly?), architecture( Do the buildings look nice?) etc.

Which is the most beautiful or the best Chinatown in your eyes? and why? Share your views with others!!!
Jul 25, 2007 22:12
  • CHYNAGYRL
I like Toronto's original Chinatown at Dundas and Spadina. It's authentic. It smells bad in the summer time, there's old ladies selling garlic and hot peppers on the sidewalks, fruit peels strewn on the sidewalks. Some people there can't speak English though they've lived in Canada for a long time -- why bother because this is their enclave. You can buy cheap clothes, pirated music and videos, and the food is fantastic just like it should be in Chinatown.
Jul 26, 2007 04:28
  • LEOPOLD219
It smells bad in the summer time, there's old ladies selling garlic and hot peppers on the sidewalks, fruit peels strewn on the sidewalks
Yes, it is authentic!
But is the food is as authentic as that is in China?
Jul 26, 2007 19:57
  • FRANKENSTEIN
So many Chinatowns all over the world, is it hard to tell which one is the best? I agree with Leonardo, Chinatown is a window of China. Chinatown is also a bridge between the West and China.
Jul 30, 2007 03:29
I go to Chinatown quite a lot here in London, it's looking a bit tired these day's but I believe plans are in place expand and make it look better.
The food is generally very good there and I use the shops to buy my ingredients for my cooking.
Jul 30, 2007 23:16
  • LEONARDO
How about the Chinese expats there? Are they friendly? Is it safe to go outside alone at night, in particular for ladies?
Aug 3, 2007 20:36
  • CHYNAGYRL
The Chinese expats in our Chinatown are not particularly friendly. They're reserved like typical Chinese people, but inside the restaurants and stores they are always helpful and friendly. It is very safe at night, but ladies sometimes detour the area because it's smelly in the summer.
Aug 4, 2007 03:19
  • GRYOKAN
To give an assessment, one needs to tell us how many Chinatowns he/she has been to, please.
From the several I have been ranging from Melbourne, London, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Singapore & Manila, I think the old one at Toronto was the best. The one in Singapore is good as well. In Canada and London, I find the Chinese people friendly - esp to their own kind which is very welcoming for a change. These Chinese are mainly from HK but they seem to behave quite differently from HKongers.
And yes, I like that smelly part - it is Chinatown. I suppose if anyone prefers surgical smell, they can go to the hospitals/clinics.
Aug 5, 2007 21:34
  • LEONARDO
Great,GRYOKAN , you have travelled so many Chinatowns.It seems that you and CHYNAGYRL like the Chinatown in Toronto. If I have a chance, I will have a look there.
Aug 12, 2007 23:18
  • MIRANDAZHAO
" Chinatown, a gathering place for Chinese expats, is a window of Chinese culture." It is. Most Chinatowns still retain the distinctive Chinese flavor; distinctive Chinese architecture, original Chinese delicacy and the unique Chinse folk music and arts.
Oct 10, 2007 20:59
  • SUNNYDREAM
My friend visited New York a few weeks ago. She said that the Chinaytown in New York was horrible. Some parts of the neighborhood are like a slum. Overcrowded and smelly. I heard that the Chinatown in Sydney is quite good.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The best Chinatown in your eyes?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code