Menu
Is obesity "socially contagious"?
Jul 26, 2007 03:20
  • FRANKENSTEIN
A piece of news from China Daily says that a new study shows that obesity is 'socially contagious'.

The report says "If your friends and family get fat, chances are you will too, researchers report in a startling new study that suggests obesity is 'socially contagious' and can spread easily from person to person."

The researchers states ""We were stunned to find that friends who are hundreds of miles away have just as much impact on a person's weight status as friends who are right next door,"

The study concludes that if one of your friends become fat, your chances of getting fat will go up 58%; if a sibling does, your possibilities will increase 40%; if your spouse becomes fat, your chances will go up 37%; If your closest friend become, your chances will be tripled.

The researchers thinks that the phenomenon is mianly attributed to close friends often share similar eating and exercise habits. So when your closest friends becomes fat, be careful!
Jul 26, 2007 03:26
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Source: AFP
"Manuel Uribe, tipping the scales at 560 kilograms (1,234 pounds) and seen here at his home in 2006, will be listed as the world's fattest man by the Guinness Book of Records, while a loss of 200 kilos (440 pounds) may make him the man who lost the most weight."

Jul 26, 2007 03:51
  • MIRANDAZHAO
OMG, too terrible!
Jul 26, 2007 04:35
No I don't think that is true, I'm obese myself but none of my friends are.
I have been overweight since I was about 10 years old and no matter how much I try to lose weight it always comes back.
Thankfully I'm nowhere near the weight of the guy in the picture, I'm 230 pounds which is about 30 pounds heavier than I feel comfortable with.
Jul 26, 2007 10:43
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, obesity a problem. It does not spread man to man.
Posted obesity picture is ---?
Jul 26, 2007 20:22
  • FRANKENSTEIN
LIONPOWER, Do you want to say the "Posted obesity picture is horrible"? Sure, it is. When i saw this picture at first sight, i felt very sick.
Jul 27, 2007 10:53
  • LIONPOWER
Horrible? Yes, it's not a life.
Jul 28, 2007 00:32
  • DAVEC
I think the photo is a harsh example and an extreme case. I am overweight but dont think I class as obese just because I have a little too much around my middle. My family are from Norfolk in UK where traditionally everyone is big and by that I mean 180cm+ even the women!
Aug 1, 2007 03:51
  • LEONARDO
Davec,
I agree with you. "The photo is a harsh example and an extreme case." Being fat or thin sometimes has something to do with gene or blood. Europeans usually are bigger and stronger than Asians. But, the diet also has a strong impact on the bodyshape. Do you eat a lot of meat and beef everyday?
Aug 1, 2007 04:41
  • EVENING
I don't think obesity can be contagious,but believe it has something to do with gene. It can be inherited from parents to children.
Aug 1, 2007 11:38
  • LIONPOWER
Evening,
beware about obscity and be slim.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is obesity "socially contagious"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code