Menu
If there had been no differences between East and West
Jul 30, 2007 22:30
  • LEONARDO
Perhaps it is odd to discuss if East and West can live in two cultures., but I still think it is worthwhile.

Frankly speaking, if there had been no differences between East and West, I wouldn't have choosen to learn Englsh and I wouldn't have a chance to discuss this question in English with all of you here.

If there had been no differences between East and West, you would not have had such a strong interest in China; you wouldn't have traveled to China; Chinese nationals wouldn't have gone abroad.

If there had been no differences between East and West, I would not have a chance to dine out at Mcdonald's and I wouldn't have tried hard to practice using folk and knife at table; you wouldn't have a chance to taste Chinese Jiaozi, you wouldn't have choosen to learn how to use Chinese chopsticks.

If there had been no differences between East and West, you wouldn't have a chance to fall in love with a Chinese girl and marry her. If there had been no differences between East and West, you wouldn't have a chance to teach English and learn Chinese in China.

If there had been no differences between you and me, we would have lost a rich and colorful world.

Actually, it is the differeces that creat interests to understand other cultures.

If there had been no differences between East and West, would you have choosen to learn English or Chinese? Would you have come to China?

If there had been no differences between East and West,----------
If there had been on differences between you and me,-----------
Jul 30, 2007 23:13
  • WINDENERGY
LEONARDO,

Glad you have the chance to duscuss this topic in English. You have an excellent writing ability!

If there had been no differences between the East and West, I wouldn't have to listen to Karen Carpenter wooing sha-la-la-la tune "Yesterday Once More".

If there had been no difference between East and West, I wouldn't have to explain to my students that the world is overpopulated and having children is a greedy and wasteful pursuit.

If there had been no difference between East and West, I wouldn;t have to mull over a Chinese menu, trying to decide whether or not the food contains dog meat or snake meat or pig meat.

All of these differences do, in fact, make up a colorful and unexpected world in the eyes of a traveller, there is so much to see....and to do...and to wonder upon.

If there had been no difference between East and West, someone long ago would have told the Chinese people that there language is far too repetative ans illogical and they would have learned the alphabet used in the West. But, they didn't . So here I am writing Chinese characters which bring to mind the sights of a feudal emporer and long-lost dynasties filled with tyranny and lust.

__WINDENERGY__
Jul 31, 2007 01:59
  • GRYOKAN
Leonardo's message is more balanced. WindEnergy's ? Am afraid it is tainted with bias and discrimination.
Jul 31, 2007 03:52
Gyrokan, I think you may see also that what Leonardo's 'poem' celebrates, in the differences between east and west, is amplified by WindEnergy's 'reflection', which shows how different individual perceptions of the same matters can be.

My own perception is that whilst difference can be wonderful and stimulating, we should not use the argument of preserving difference as a barrier to learning from one another's situations. We only need to be cautious that learning and change is not allowed to turn to monotonous uniformity :-)

If there were no difference between East and West, how plain the world would seem,
And if were no difference, between you and me, then would it not demean?
But if the world were not to change, and neither you nor me,
Then where's the value of difference, what use would it be?
Jul 31, 2007 04:15
  • YEMMIE
Wind Energy,

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to answer a negative post directly. I am so upset and so ashamed of your response. There are so many things that both East and West can learn from each other. There are so many beautiful wonderful, positive things that each culture has to offer. And why are you so confident that we in the West are superior? We are not. Is the Chinese language more complicated? It seems that way to me, but I have only studied it a little. Maybe the western mind is too simple, unsophisticated, and feeble to grasp it. I could go on, but I hope that you and the other members of this forum will understand me.

On more thing, Hubris is possibly the worst of all human emotions. It has brought ruin to many civilizations. In the 20th century it is what has caused the US to become a third world nation, though oddly, most Americans remain blissfully unaware that much of the world is rapidly passing them by. I used to be a teacher. My students were often criticising me for not praising them enough. In truth, I do believe in praising good honest effort, even when one sees on modest success, but they just wanted me to tell them they were great no matter what they did or didn't do. So, I told them, "Do something praiseworthy and I will praise you." Still, many of them had the notion, "I breathe, therefore I am wonderful."
Jul 31, 2007 06:14
  • DODGER
Leonardo's poem was very well writen.
I wish that I had writen it myself.
And perhaps if there had been no differences I would have never met a special Lady.
Dodger.
Jul 31, 2007 15:14
  • GRIZ326
Are there really differences between East and West?

We all breathe air, drink water and eat food...
We all have the same bodily functions...
We all experience the same emotions...
We all face the same evils...
We all want to love and be loved...
We all hope the best for our children...

We are more alike than we are different.

But the differences between East and West provide entertainment for the adventurer. :)

Jul 31, 2007 17:11
  • CHYNAGYRL
Sometimes I wonder why God didn't make us all the same so we could live more peacefully together. I guess the differences between East and West gives us a great learning experience and opportunities for interacting with people with different ideas. I won't say that I always agree with foreigners, because some have had a very different upbringing, but I still find it interesting to hear their thoughts and feelings.
Jul 31, 2007 19:51
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Thanks for the so inspiring thread and Leonardo so poetically written------

If there had not been the differences between the East and the West, should your heart have been untravelled?
But I am one who is innately torn between the East and the West and far away my heart would rove--
I am one who is torn between the East and the West, I feel at once in one and at odds with you...
And since there are such differences between the East and the West, we probe, between the distant and near lands, and would we then, love and die, at our leisure, in which ressembling country, of the heart??
Aug 1, 2007 04:04
extremely moving words, Faeriequeene, I wonder where indeed!
Aug 1, 2007 23:22
  • LEONARDO
Hi, friends,

I feel quite honored to know all of you here. Glad to hear your voices from the bottom of your hearts. It seems that we all understand the cultural differences and value them. As I have mentioned, it is the differeces that creat interests to understand other cultures.

Cultural differences do exist between East and West, but we don't care about them. Every one of us here is an architect engaging in buliding a bridge between the East and West.

In fact, we also share a lot in common. All our tears express sadness, and our smiling faces beam happiness.

Again, thanks for your opening your minds and hearts to me!
Page 1 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: If there had been no differences between East and West
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code