Menu
US House vote for Sex Slaves
Aug 2, 2007 02:52
  • MAY001
The U.S. House of Representatives approved a resolution Monday urging Japan to "formally acknowledge, apologize and accept historical responsibility in a clear and unequivocal manner" for the suffering of so-called "comfort women."

Historians say the Imperial Japanese Army forcibly sent hundreds of thousands of women, mainly from Korea, China and the Philippines, to wartime Japanese military brothels to work as prostitutes in the 1930s and 1940s.

Since the government acknowledged the practice in the early 1990s, Japanese leaders have repeatedly apologized over the issue. But in March, Abe triggered anger across Asia by saying there was no proof the women were coerced _ reflecting a view among Japan's right-wing politicians, who claim the issue has been fabricated or exaggerated.

In Washington, Democratic Rep. Tom Lantos called "nauseating" what he said were efforts by some in Japan "to distort and deny history and play a game of blame the victim."

Source: WashingtonPost.com
Aug 2, 2007 02:55
  • MAY001
It's great that more and more people can realize the true history which has been covered up for so many times. It's the shame of Japan gov. to deny the truth and compensation to those poor women.
Aug 2, 2007 04:58
  • KEVIN0518
It is stupid to cover the history. Things existed can not be erased. A nation should be responsible for what they have done.
Aug 2, 2007 05:57
  • WCTMAN
Perhaps it is time for the U.S. House of Representatives to "formally acknowledge, apologize and accept historical responsibility in a clear and unequivocal manner" for the unnecessary dropping of not one but two Atomic bombs on Japanese cities 62 years ago.
Aug 2, 2007 06:26
  • GRYOKAN
You sound like a Jap, WCTMan.
Aug 2, 2007 17:40
  • WCTMAN
No. Just someone who shares the same opinion as Albert Einstein, Neils Bohr, Robert Oppenheimer and the rest of the nuclear scientists who formally urged President Roosevelt ( and subsequently Truman ) not to ever unleash an atomic weapon on a civilian population. For the sake of humanity.

Aug 2, 2007 21:45
  • GRYOKAN
So funny, people. Why did they build all these nuclear weapons in the first place ? Some say it is for defensive purposes. Some say differently.
So why had it in the first place ?
And I don't believe in all these talks of humanity - it is all bull... !!
Aug 3, 2007 01:52
  • MAY001
"the unnecessary dropping of not one but two Atomic bombs" Unnecessary?? Why do you think so?? If there's no bombs to the two Japanese cities, there might be more Chinese cities suffer what Nanking sufferred.
Aug 3, 2007 17:13
  • CHRIS01112
When national pride is at stake, admissions of culpability are rarely forthcoming. Certain events in China's not so distant past also spring to mind. I think it is important to remember that our leaders will always act according to public opinion , political fashion, and their own personal interests. I think much has to change before Abe favours a direct apology.
Aug 3, 2007 17:19
  • WCTMAN
It is likely Dwight Eisenhower was right when he said of the atomic bombings of Japan, "it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." (Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/63, pg. 108).

Eisenhower was Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe and President of the US from 1952 - 1960. He took the view that conventional warfare ( that is, non Atomic ) and diplomacy would have resulted in Japan's eventual surrender. That is what I mean by unnecessary.

Aug 3, 2007 21:00
  • GRYOKAN
In that case, why stop at nuclear weapons ? Why not stop all weapons totally ? Not that I am pro the USA but this logic cannot start from nuclear weapons.
But I do agree that the USA/Britain need to apologise for a lot of military infringements - esp the British who attack other countries just to show support the USA.
Now, why are Japan refusing to apologise officially ? I was told that it is because when she surrendered, the USA/Britain/France allegedly absolved Japan from all subsequent blame for their unconditional surrender. Whilst Germany are still paying to their neighbours as well as suffering individuals for their war atrocities, Japan need not to. Why ? Because this is Asia not Europe and the surrender negotiators were represented by those white countries who didnt really have the Asian's interest at heart - they were not the ones that suffered.
But I am not sure that this is a fact. Anybody can verify this ?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: US House vote for Sex Slaves
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code