Menu
Chinese Have New View of Marriage
Aug 13, 2007 11:54
  • LIONPOWER
Some 50 years ago, most Chinese believed marriage should be the most important issue in life, no matter the two loved each other or not. However, today, love and sex play a more important role than marriage, particularly among young people.

In the 1950s, marriage was part of the political life, for it required the approval of the Party (if she/he was a CPC member) or the organization (if she/he was its non-Party staff worker) to get married. Sometimes, young people didn’t know their spouses very much before they were “made” couples.

In the 1960s and 1970s, urban students were sent to rural areas, where many of them fell in love with local boys or girls, without knowing that such love affair might haunt them all through their life.

In the 1980s, dating parties and lonely hearts ads became popular. At that time, most Chinese had a very romantic view of marriage.

Since the 1990s, with the booming of the Internet and cable TVs, it has never been easier for young people to get in touch with each other, which is a great benefit for long-distance lovers.

What do you think about this wave?
Aug 13, 2007 16:06
  • GRIZ326
"Your mileage may vary." (An old advertising line in a gasoline ad)

Compare the divorce rates over time. Sometimes the old ways have much to offer compared to the new mating rituals.

As for online dating: there is good and there is bad when a couple meets online with sincere intentions. There are criminal scams and personal danger when the online meeting is fraudulent.
Aug 13, 2007 17:54
  • DAVEC
I have to praise the internet. I met lovely lady through this very website, she just answered some of my posts, then we met on msn and chatted rarely, then we chatted nore often and things just clicked for us. I will be meeting her next month and maybe our friendship will blossom into something more, at least we both hope it does.
We could never have even met without the internet and certainly couldnt talk each day.

I did not log onto this site for romance, I had numerous questions and travel plans and have met some nice people who have helped me enormously.

But while my story is a happy one for me,I do appreciate there are many out there who are conned and duped. I think anyone considering online dating should be very careful of what they are doing.
Aug 13, 2007 20:52
  • KEVIN0518
Lion, it seems that you are an expert on the changing of Chinese people's marriage views. As time changes, people's view toward marriage is also changing. In ancient times, boys and girls had to obey their parents and their marriage were managed by their parents. Nowadays, the adults have their freedom to choose their spouse. Parents seldom intervene their children's marriage.
Aug 14, 2007 19:55
  • LEOPOLD219
As times goes on, Chinese attitude towards marriage has changed dramatically. Chinese marriage system has experienced a revolution from " arranged marriage" to "free love". Nowadays, there are many young people cohabit with an opposite sex, but may not want to end up with an marriage.
Aug 14, 2007 20:50
  • EVENING
Lion has pointed out the very development of chinese view of marriage. Really quite a fact!

As for me, I would rather keep the 1950s style. Althouth it is a liitle bit dull and stiff, it brings relatively peaceful family and social orde.

Maybe you would say it's not happy if the two have no love for each other. But, what's love? Love is understanding and support that can only be fostered through the two's long life. They will find they love each other when they become elder and elder.

Marriage is for responsibility, for love and for contribution. Better to take it more seriously.
Aug 14, 2007 23:28
  • LIONPOWER
Yes,
Evening I also think, Marriage is a big responsibility. It's a a bundle of many duty and responsibilities. Love one these.
Aug 15, 2007 10:35
  • GRIZ326
Evening hit the nail on the head! The payoff for traditional marriage comes in old age together rather than old age alone.

Many people all over the world are searching for a relationship of explosive passion that lasts forever. They do not realize that such a relationship lasts no longer than a firecracker's BANG!

Old age homes will soon fill up with very lonely people if traditional marriage values do not return.
Aug 15, 2007 11:15
  • LIONPOWER
(Sorry for mistake in my post)

Yes,
Evening I also think, Marriage is a big responsibility. It's a bundle of many duty and responsibilities. Love one of these.
Aug 17, 2007 09:30
  • BW750
I guess, its a gift of God but I have no wish to return 1950 rather we can compare with the past, whats we comitted wrong.
Aug 18, 2007 22:43
  • ELLEN77
I don't think the understanding in the old age between a couple is really worth the cost of long years' unhappiness. While I can accept the opporsite thing, long years in love results in the end of marriage due to unharmony. At this point we have experienced love, that's the key point.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Have New View of Marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code