Menu
Chinese Marriage
Aug 26, 2007 17:09
  • ROB04216
I am going to Guangzhou in Sept. to be married. I have contacted the Consulate in Guangzhou and was told all I need to do is bring my divorce decree to the Consulate and I would be issued a Marriageability Affidavit. Has anyone heard of this? My fiancee is instant that I need a single certificate, that I get from the Chinese Consulate here before I go. Does anyone know for sure what papers I will need and where I can get them? Any information you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Rob
Aug 26, 2007 22:01
  • DODGER
Rob,
your fiance is correct. You will need a Single Certificate which would then have t be Oked by another department and then have your local Chinese consulate stamp it before you leave for China. Give your self 2 weeks for this exercise.
Dodger.
Aug 27, 2007 23:03
  • BOARDY35
All i can tell you is that when i got married here i had to apply at my own consulate to get an official letter stating i was not married back in the UK. This cost just over 1000rmb and took about 2 weeks to get. Good luck !!!
Aug 28, 2007 05:49
  • APAULT
yes, getting singles certificate first has been stated in other threads
Sep 3, 2007 19:07
  • KTM475
The GUZ consulate is right. It is alot easier to get Single Certificate there in morning and then you can get married in the afternoon.
Stateside you need to bring divorce paper and get notarized, then brought to the courthouse where paper was issued. next you have to send paper to Secratary Of State where you live for certification, then sent to american Chinese consulate and wait about a month for them to certify it. Done? no, you now have to get it translated to Chinese.
I married In Tianjin 11/06. Did not have translated, but they did it on the spot where we married.
Sep 3, 2007 19:23
  • ROB04216
Thanks for all the info. My fiancee has found a company there that helps with this and they have told her the same as what ktm475 said. The Consulate can provide all the papers I need. I need my divorce papers and travel documents and that's it. It is a pain to try to get everything here. With any luck I'll be married by the end of the month. Wish me luck. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Sep 3, 2007 21:17
  • KTM475
Good Luck! also, bring immigration applications she will to sign some in chinese.
Sep 4, 2007 02:38
  • ROB04216
How long did the immigration process take before your wife was able to come to the states? Can I get the forms at the Embassy in China or should I get them before I go? Thanks, any info you can give will be a help.
Sep 4, 2007 03:12
  • APAULT
A divorce c ertificate does not prove u r unmarried...you could have married again !
Sep 4, 2007 06:46
  • KTM475
Still in process, 9 mths. it takes awhile so get ready to do alot of waiting.
Go to this website, there are people who are very knowledgeable about Chinese immigration.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
Sep 5, 2007 01:02
  • ROGERINCA
Rob, I did not respond immediately to your thread, as you did not indicate in your profile what nationality you are. Also, there are many nation’s consulates in GZ. This has been stated before my me and other members, it would be real helpful for new posters here to show at a minimum their nation of residence in the profile. This will enable another member with the specific information to get back to the poster, faster and in a more precise manner.

Next, just for the record….. While it is possible to get the single certificate at the US Consulate in GZ, the process within the US is not necessarily as slow as maybe is illustrated in another response.

I live in California and did the following: In the morning, I went to my local courthouse where the divorce was handled and I obtained a ‘certified’ copy of the document.
I then took the certified divorce decree to a notary public next door to the court and had it notarized. I then drove one hour to the Secretary of State’s office, and paid $25.00 to have the it certified and the form with the state seal attached. They do this to certify that the notary seal is valid. I was at the Secretary of State office for less than 30 minutes. They also offer express service, for those who cannot drive to the office.

I then drove to the post office and express mailed the notarized and certified divorce decree, the Secretary of State office validation certificate, and the two forms for the PRC Consulate in San Francisco, which I had downloaded the previous night online, to the SF PRC Consulate. Exactly four business days later, they express mailed their certification back to me in the express envelope I had also provided to them. I really appreciate the fast (standard) service I received at the PRC, San Francisco Consulate !!

In other words, I completed this entire certification process in less than one week’s time.

I flew to GZ the following week and we paid the marriage fee, and were married at the civil marriage office in old town GZ City. Moreover, for about $25.00 they translated all of the documents while we waited, and the entire marriage process, with photos, took about one and a half hours. :)
Page 1 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code