Menu
Chinese Marriage
Dec 14, 2008 01:41
GUEST21156 Hi Jeff,
I just read your post about chnlove.com here as well as on another site and I am even more concerned now. I just returned fron China a few weeks ago and I too met my girlfriend through chnlove.com. While I was there, she mentioned 42,000 yen which is almost $6,000 that had to be paid to the agency upon our marriage. i wasn't clear about what she said because she can't speak English very well and I speak no Chinese so it kind of got lost in other happenings. I am planning to marry her the last part of XXXXXXXXXXXX and now that I have thought about it more, I am concerned about threats to her family and a lawsuit against me. I have also heard about this scam from a friend who has a girlfriend in Chengdu. She also brought up the money, but when he said he wouldn't pay for a woman, she clammed up and went undergroung and now he is in denial. Have you heard anything from the Chinese government or our consulate about the letter you wrote to them? What else are you doing to protect yourself against them. I am to go back there in xxxxxxx and it's going to require all the restraint I have to keep from going to the local chnlove office and confronting whoever. I'm not sure what to do, but I know I don't want to end up in a chinese jail cell so I may just cancel the marriage until I can get some help with this situation. I feel like I will be punishing her by canceling the marriage, but it seems marriage will only make things worse. There are bad times here in the USA as you may well know. Not being able to sell any real estate and the stock market being way down, I am in enough trouble financially just traveling there and getting married without an additional debt I really knew nothing about and I certainly didn't sign any documents. In there disclaimer, a person would wonder if chnlove was doing any business with the local agencies. They say they do not authorize any 3rd party organization including without limitation, those local marriage agencies, to charge chnlove members for any reason with or without the name of chnlove. It also says I am totally responsible for any transaction between me and the local agency. I guess that also mean whether I know about the transaction or not What a crock, no doubt they get a big chunk of the money.
Dec 15, 2008 19:07
  • ROB04216
I have more info on chnlove.com, I have talked with my wife about her profile there. She did not post it, she contacted a translation company that advertised they would help her find a husband. The translation company charged her 40,000 yuan for this, they are the ones that posted her profile on chnlove. I do not know if money was paid to chnlove by the translation company or not, but chnlove did not charge my wife directly. I was lucky, my wife paid the fee up front so I never knew anything about this, until I asked her today. The translation company that my wife used has been closed by the Chinese government and the operator arrested on fraud charges. So now I am wondering if your fiance owes the money to chnlove or to another middleman? There may be marriage broker laws in China that would help you. I will talk with my wife more about this and try to get some more information.
Dec 23, 2008 04:44
GUEST19475 Thanks ROB04216, I wish I knew who to go after there. All I have is the woman named xxxxxxx who is supposed to be a distant relative of my fiancee. I quit writing through chnlove and now have a friend of my fiancee who speaks pretty good english who translates my emails now for one hell of a lot less than chnlove. I don't understand, but my fiancee says she is not really sure who she owes the money to. She has not signed anything and was only shown this contract by this woman xxxxxxxx. I have told her not to sign anything and don't pay any money to anyone. In my case, this money was obviously meant for me to pay because it would take my fiancee 10 years or more to pay out of her income. I am due to go back soon and don't know yet whether to go to the police or what. I have read on other sites that after we are married, this organization or whoever, threatens a lawsuit againt the husband and even threatens the wife and her family with physical harm. I am concerned that if we are married when I go there and then have to come home for some months, that something might happen to her or her family. From what I have read on the internet, many things point toward chnloves envolvement except for what a few chnlove drones have written. In the contract I have seen written about on the internet, there is a secrecy clause that says the woman is not to tell the husband to be about the money until after the marriage, and is it just a coincidence that my fiancee mentioned the same 40,000 rmb amount as the post before? I wonder when the translation company mentioned was closed by the Chinese government and if this woman xxxxx could just be a straggler who didn't get caught and is trying to wing it on her own? I guess all I can do now is gather as much information as I can and write letters and emails to the local police, the chinese government, the American consulate there in China, the newspaper that says they are trying to clean up marriage agency scams, immigration here in the USA, my state senators to Washinton DC, my congressman, Department of State and anyone else I can think of to write. Does anybody out there have any more ideas??? Did I have to go all the way to China to get mixed up in a mess like this? I realize there are good people in china, but I must admit that my opinion of China has changed after dealing with chnlove, all the dishonest women I have written to on their site, and all the bad things I have read about marriage agencies. I have met a few good people there and I will try to find more when I get back there, but i would sure love to be able to knock some heads on my return. The problem is, I don't yet know who these people are exactly, but I know one thing, I'll be looking over my shoulder all the time. Thanks
Dec 27, 2008 21:26
  • ROB04216
Well Guest, I don't know where you are from, but perhaps the Chinese Consulate here in the US that covers your area would be another place to contact. Good luck to you.

Rob
Jan 5, 2009 02:43
GUEST19826 robo4216, Yes, I'll try the san francisco consulate 1st thing when they open tomorrow. I am pretty much afraid to get married now because of the possible threats to come after marriage but I know she's going to be very disappointed. Can you tell me in what city the translation company was in that got closed and the operator arrested? I would tell you the city my fiance is from but it is a smaller city and that would be a give-a-way to us. Thanks, just call me Jim
Jan 5, 2009 07:29
  • ROB04216
The company she delt with was in Guangzhou, I don't know the name. I have read that the government has set up a task force in the larger cities to deal with this problem. Perhaps your translator could find some information about that for you.

Rob
Jan 5, 2009 07:38
  • ROB04216
Jim,

One other note, my wife found this translation company on the internet, so saying that this company is from Guangzhou doesn't really say much. She could have chosen any number of companies located all over China. Just like here, there are good people to do business with, and bad. Good luck,

Rob
Jan 11, 2009 01:11
GUEST23136 Thanks, Rob,
I must have called the chinese consulate in San Francisco 40 times this last week. A recorder answers, but that's it. I hit the numbers 0 through 9 and all busy or just rings. Nobody could be that busy, there must not be anyone there. My email can't even get through. Then I called L. A., busy, after that I called Australia, busy. One hell of a way to run an organization. Besides asking about the money scam, I wanted to find out about what it is they need to do with My certified divorse documents, but it's too late now. I have my certified divorse papers from the county court and then had that certified by the Secretary of State along with something from the county that says there's no record of me being married there.. I don't know what it is, but I have an exemplification signed by a judge to pick up on Monday. I hear that a consulate officer in Guangzhou can sign a marriageability affidacit that will allow me to get married maybe, depending on their mood. I guess I waited too long to decide if I wanted to get married in China as I leave next week and don't have time to get the Chinese consulates ok. I hope I have enough to somehow get married or she will sure be disappointed. Do you know if we have to get married in the province where my fiance lives? I think it might be easier in Guangzhou where the American consulate is located. Thanks, Jim
Jan 11, 2009 09:37
  • ROB04216
Hi Jim,
I think all you will need is the certified divorce papers, but take everything you have with you to the Consulate in Guangzhou. Yes, you will need to meet with a consulate officer to get the marriageability affidacit, and I found her to be quite pleasant. (a lot more helpful than the government employees here) Take a COPY of your marriageability affidacit with you when you get married, the priest or minister will probablly want a copy. Keep your original for when you register your marriage with the government.
No you don't need to get married in the province where your wife lives. I got my marriageability affidacit in Guangzhou, we then flew to Beijing and was married there, and my wife lives in Xinjiang. You will need to register the marriage with the Chinese government in the province where your wife lives.
I must warn you to start getting all the paperwork done as soon as you get there. The Chinese New Year is fast approaching (Jan. 26) and as near as I can tell all government offices closes for at least a week around then. I ran into the same thing when I got married near the National Day. (Oct. 1)
Perhaps your fiance can find out who you can talk with once your in China, about the marriage brokers fee. If you could get your translator to go with you it would be a big help. My wife had a had held electronic translator which worked good for short sentences or words, you may want to look into getting one of those. I could type in English and she in Chinese, it was a big help at first. Good luck to you and your fiance, I'll be waiting to hear how it goes. When your in Guangzhou make sure to take a few taxi rides, more expencive than the bus (take a bus ride too that's another adventure) but it is like an amusement park ride, I've never seen anything like it! Have a great trip.

Rob
Jan 12, 2009 17:57
GUEST86118 Rob, interesting thread going on here I just noticed it, been myself a chnlove member for a long time, did you say your woman was from chnlove through a Guangzhou agency, the one that was shut down just recently??
Page 7 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code