Menu
Should men have to learn to drink and smoke?
Aug 29, 2007 22:51
  • KATRINA
A news said that a mother forces his 18 years old son to learn to drink. Why did she do so? Because she says that it is good for his son's future. Nowadays, if you meet some difficulties and needs help from sb, you surely have to treat him with a feast. The problem is easy to be solved at dinning table,especially with the help of liquor. This has become a tradition. Thus, drinking has become the necessary skill. No wonder his mother forces his son to learn to drink.

Drinking and smoking usually can not be separated. Cigarette has the same effect as liquor. Both are necessary. For another reason, some guys think that smoking is cool and smoking cigarettes means that you have become mature. So they learn to smoke.

What do you think? Should men have to learn to drink and smoke?
Aug 29, 2007 23:10
  • DAVEC
I have never smoked and never want to. "smoking is cool" means you are mixing with the wrong type of people, get some friends who respect you for who you and not whether you look 'cool'.

As for drink, I am allergic to alcohol so none of that for me. I can get alcohol free lager in UK and I sometimes drink that because I like the taste.

But I dont think we should think smoking and drinking is something we need to be taught, they are personal choices much like most things in life.
Aug 29, 2007 23:44
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Wine is part of gastronomy to accompany good food and good company. Drinking and hanging out in pubs is a different thing. I think Friday drinks is also a corporate culture in some places. As for smoking fewer and fewer young people smoke and more and more give up smoking in Europe.
Aug 30, 2007 02:41
  • YVONNE
Quote:
But I dont think we should think smoking and drinking is something we need to be taught, they are personal choices much like most things in life.

Yes, Dave. drinking and smoking are personal choices. However, the situation in China might be a bit different. Just as Katrina said, if you are trapped in difficulties and ask help from someone who has power in his hands, it is better to treat him with a feast and send him some 'presents'. Usually, such presents are good liquor and cigrettes or bucks. In other words, you have to 'bribe' him. At that time, drinking can make you and him 'closer'. And your problem becomes easy to te solved.
Aug 30, 2007 03:37
  • ICEBLUE
Just as Katrina said, if you are trapped in difficulties and ask help from someone who has power in his hands, it is better to treat him with a feast and send him some 'presents'. Usually, such presents are good liquor and cigrettes or bucks.

Yvonne, I think it is the situation only in China. How about other countries?
Aug 30, 2007 13:06
  • CHRFONG
I have never smoked and never will. As far as drinking, I have the occasional drink, maybe 1-2 times a month. This was the thinking that my parents placed in me. It may have been an indirect teaching method that they used but I learned to drink in moderation and that smoking is a bad habit. So suffice to say that I don't think drinking and smoking go hand in hand. In some cases they do but not generally.

As far as YVONNE's reply, I think that there are other ways than bribes to get out of difficult positions. But I will agree that there are certain situations where that IS the only option.
Aug 30, 2007 19:51
  • MAY001
Absolutely no!!
Aug 30, 2007 20:33
  • KEVIN0518
I neither drink alcohol nor smoke and will never learn to smoke. For drinking, I learn that drinking moderately is good for your health. Is this true?
Sep 6, 2007 01:01
You are right Kevin drinking moderately is good for your health, as far as learning to drink and smoke, I think learning to drink could help prevent drink problems, I see a lot of binge drinkers who think it's cool to get drunk.
When I go for a drink I know when I need to call it a night without making a fool of myself, not always the case when I was younger I admit, ha ha.
Learning to smoke, well that is not a good idea, full stop.
Sep 6, 2007 10:50
  • LIONPOWER
Both are harmful to health and society.
Sep 6, 2007 22:25
  • JOHNNY512
At least girls do not hope her husband or boyfriend smoke ad drink. Am I right? One of my college classmates said that her future boyfriend shoud not smoke and drink. Smoking and drinking are the things that she really dislikes.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should men have to learn to drink and smoke?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code