Menu
Has God deserted Africa?
Nov 27, 2007 03:16
  • LEONARDO
GUESTDAVED,

"No amount of praying to whatever god you happen to believe in will change what is happening in Africa. No amount of foreign aid will change it either. "

Actually, I agree with you that Africa has no one to count on but themselves. However, Africa's problem should not be ignored by the international community. As I have said in my previous post, international community should make good efforts to stop the infighting and tribal conflicts. Take 1994 Rwanda Genocide for example, if UN and other western countries did not withdraw their troops, the genocide could be restricted to a certain extent. Belgium, Uk, France and USA all withdrew their diplomatic missions and refuse to contain the genocide. After the genocide, they gathered meeting to impose sanction on Rwanda. Was it helpful? The dead civilians can not be saved. One million fell victim to the genocide. It happened in 1994 when human civilization has advanced to a higher stage. Because of the indifference of " Civilized Community", one million lives were killed. So, international aid and intervention should increase rather than decrease. If foreign aid ceases, Africa's situation will worsen.
Nov 29, 2007 04:40
GUESTDAVED Leonardo, I do agree with much of what you say. The thought of all those deaths in Rwanda and elsewhere in Africa really just beggars belief.

However, when it comes to aid the problem is just how much is enough? If you poured all the money in China into Africa it would all just disappear without a splash. And people like you would still be calling for more. There has to be a limit and it seems to me that most western countries have already reached that limit. They are simply no longer willing to keep throwing their taxpayers money away on a situation which keeps getting worse rather than better.
Dec 3, 2007 19:20
  • LEONARDO
GUESTDAVED,
I agree with you that there should be a limit in the issue of economic aid. I know that a large amount of money was embezzled by some warlords and dictators in Africa. However, if we stop all the economic assisstance, the situation will get even worse. Maybe someday in the near future, Africa will really become a land deserted not by God but our human society. For the sake of humanity, at least we should do something rather than let Africa go freely.
Page 8 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Has God deserted Africa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code