Menu
How to get from Shanghai Airport to Ningbo University park
Sep 3, 2007 13:08
  • CAMBELT
Hi,
My 19 year old daughter arrives in Shanghai Pudong on September 15th at 15:15 with her friend. They are studying at Nottingham University's campus at Ningbo for one year.
There is a flight from Shanghai to Ningbo but not until 20:20. Is it best to wait the 4 or 5 hours or should they catch a train or a taxi. What sort of price would they expect to pay for either and how long would it take?
Hope someone can help!
TC
Sep 3, 2007 13:29
  • CAMBELT
And I just discovered the flight at 20:20 is from Hongqiao so would involve a transfer. Is it still worthwhile taking the plane?
TC
Sep 3, 2007 16:27
  • ELLYSE
No.
Instead take airport shuttle no.7 from Pudong airport to Shanghai south long-distance train/bus station (they're next to each other) for 20 RMB/person.
Then take a bus to Ningbo, there're departures at 1700, 1800 and 1900. 100 RMB/person and takes about 3.5 hours.
Much cheaper than the plane, and not much more hassle.
Sep 3, 2007 19:55
  • MAY001
Yes, Ningbo is not too far away from Shanghai. Take the bus or train.
Sep 18, 2007 12:35
GUESTCAMBELT My thanks to Ellyse and May001. Your advice was first class. My daughter and her friend took shuttle to Shanghai bus station and thenthe 19:00 bus to Ningbo. They said the bus was very comfortable and spacious (much higher standard than here in England!) and they arrive dat their campus at a reasonable time.
Sep 21, 2007 09:41
  • ELLYSE
Good to know that. :) If your daughter would be visiting Shanghai anytime, tell her to get in touch with me.
Jan 4, 2008 07:10
  • UKTRAVELLER
Hi,
My daughter and her friend arrive in Shanghai (Pu Dong) airport at 9.25am on Sat 16 Feb.

Is it still best to get the bus from Shanghai to Ningbo Nottingham University Park?

If it is do you still take the airport shuttle no.7 from Pudong airport to Shanghai south long-distance train/bus station for 20 RMB/person? + then take a bus to Ningbo?

I would appreciate knowing how much it now costs + the journey time + when it gets to Ningbo (bus station?) how far away is the Nottingham University Campus?

Many thanks.

John H.
Jan 4, 2008 07:59
  • ELLYSE
Yes, I think so.
Airport shuttle no.7 will take about 1+ hour to reach Shanghai South long-distance bus station. If her flight is expected to arrive at 0925, I'd expect her to reach the bus station around 1100--1230.
Bus to Ningbo will then take about 3.5 hours. The departure times around the time that she would arrive would be 1110, 1130, 1150, 1210, 1230, 1300, 1330, 1345, 1400, 1430 etc.
Jan 5, 2008 11:29
  • CAMBELT
Hi John H,
I went through the same questions when my daughter was going to Nottingham-Ningbo so I'm glad to help share her experiences.... I emailed her and this was her response:

"This is the best and easiest way to get to UNNC. As soon as you come out of the arrivals area go straight outside and get the number 7 bus- make sure you get on this bus to the shanghai south station, there is another bus which goes to shanghai central station, but as long as you get on the 7 bus you should be ok. The journey takes about 1 hour depending on the traffic, but the bus is comfortable and I am pretty sure it only costs 8 kuai.

The bus drops you right outside the shanghai south bus/train station (incidentally people will try and take your luggage from you - many of them are just trying to be helpful but I know there are pickpockets working here.) The bus station entrance is on the main road, and the ticket to Ningbo costs between 90 kuai and 110 kuai.

The journey takes between 3 and 4 hours depending on traffic, but is still the quickest and easiest way to get to Ningbo- the coaches are actually far more comfortable than those in the UK. They leave Shanghai once every hour, so you won't be waiting long.

There is a taxi rank right outside the Ningbo bus station, and depending on the time of day it is fairly easy to get a taxi- however if you arrive between 4:30 and 5pm the wait will be a little bit longer because of a shift change. It is best to get into the green taxis as the blue ones are more expensive and the drivers are far more reckless! The journey should cost no more than 25 yuan. The university is around 12 km away from the station. The taxi drivers usually know where the university is, but as it is relatively new, sometimes they can be difficult- if you have an address card this would be helpful, but usually if you just say- Noddingham daxue- they can usually figure it out.

I hope this helps! Good luck!"

Jan 13, 2008 16:07
  • UKTRAVELLER
Many thanks Ellyse and Tom C,
This is very useful information which I have passed on to my daughter. All the replies so far suggest that taking the bus is the best option to get from Shanghai to Ningbo rather than catching a flight.

John H.
Jun 22, 2008 06:15
GUESTUNNC FU... Hi all, I've heard bits about the new Hangzhou Bay Bridge -- does that change anything for the trip from Pudong to Ningbo? I'll be flying to Shanghai in August, would I still need to take the No 7 shuttle to South Station where I catch the Ningbo bus?
Thanks for any advice :-)
Page 1 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to get from Shanghai Airport to Ningbo University park
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code