Menu
Still looking for expats in Taiyuan???
Sep 8, 2007 20:22
  • TENNESSEE
I am moving to Taiyuan in a few days and I was looking for an expat group. Any suggestions???
Sep 13, 2007 18:53
GUEST26107 My ex husband works on the english language newspaper - he has been in China for a couple of years. His name id Paul Upton and if you email me with some more details I will tell you how to contact him. The paper is called English Weekly. My son may be joining him in the next few weeks and I am keen for as much western contact as possible. Alison Upton - email hotmail.com|alisoncupton
Nov 7, 2007 19:40
  • YANGQUAN
I'm English and teaching in Yangquan ~ that's about 90 mins by bus from Taiyuan, apparently, if there are no traffic jams! I would like to meet up with other Westerners as I seem to be flying the Western flag single-handed in this city. I've been here since early September and really would appreciate a chat and a laugh.
Nov 7, 2007 20:06
  • TENNESSEE
Hello from Taiyuan!! It is a pretty lonely place here and they are definitely not familiar with any Western being around the city!! :) Do you come to Taiyuan a lot? We do not travel out side of the city much. Don't really know much to do around here either or good places to eat! When I ask, people always tell me good Westerner food restaurants. They are not always the best!
Nov 7, 2007 20:33
  • YANGQUAN
Hi, Tennessee,
I've not been to Taiyuan under my own steam yet, but apparently there is a bus, and the train of course. I could get over to Taiyuan as I'm free at the weekends ~ no classes.

Thank you so much for your swift response. Any chance of a get-together some time?

And di dyou get in contact with Paul Upton? I e-mailed his ex-wife this morning, too, to ask for his contact details.

Alison ('Yangquan')
hotmail.co.uk|alisoncatsandgin
Tel 0353 4063271
mob: 15835324727
Nov 18, 2007 22:27
  • VMWCLARK37
Hello,

My name is Victor Clark. I am a Canadian college instructor who is on assignment in Taiyuan until next June.

I have worked here before (2005-2006).

I am a former journalist.

If your ex. wants to contact me, he can contact me via email at hotmail.com|vmwclark.

Cheers, VC
Nov 18, 2007 22:45
  • VMWCLARK37
Hello,

Yes. Taiyuan is a lonely place for Westerners.

There are loads of good places to eat. You can try the Greenery on Watergate Street. I don't know how to write that correctly in pinyin, but it loosely is Sway Xi Man jia- Jia Feng Bai Lu co. (streets) and the name of the restaurant is "lu ing ge fan guan." I think you'll find that most taxi drivers know it. On the same street, east of Jia Feng Bai Lu, there is a Brazilain buffet restaurant. If you go to the first north-south street past Jai Feng Bai Lu and turn left and walk about 150 metres, you will find a buffet streak-house type restaurant (Hocaller). Also at Wu ei guang chang ( main public square) there is a pizza restaurant called "Origus." Apart from there not being many Westerners here, I find that Taiyuan has many Western style amenities. More easily found than in other cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian, etc. Have fun.
Dec 6, 2007 01:43
GUEST21339 Hello,
I am an American residing in Linfen... so far I think I'm the only one. If there are any more of us here, I'd love to know....

Rod Karolys
yahoo.com|rod_nyc_1999
Dec 12, 2007 14:25
GUEST36070 Hello!

I will come to Taiyuan in march 2008......Will someone be there? I am from Germany, will be working at Shanxi University.

Jan 14, 2008 19:42
  • YANGQUAN
Hello, Guest 36070
I'm an English teacher working in Yangquan. I often make the trip to Taiyuan at weekends, so I'd be delighted to meet up with you when you come to Taiyuan.

You can contact me on the address I gave in a previous reply on this page.
I'll tell you more about myself, and look forward to hearing more about you, if you contact me.
Hope to see you in a couple of months!
Jan 22, 2008 18:49
GUEST18243 Hi guys,

My friend and I are from Australia and we'll be in Taiyuan from March until August. Would love to meet up with any other westerners in the area. My email is grayzie5 at gmail dot com (replace at with @ and dot with .)
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Still looking for expats in Taiyuan???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code