Menu
Visa Application with Criminal Background
Feb 24, 2010 17:37
GUEST39208 Hello, I am going on Friday to apply for a tourist visa to China. I had a violent crime 20 years ago that I cannot get off my record. I plan on teaching in China and every application asks about my criminal record. I either lie all the way around or fess up and hope they let me in. I would hate to get there and have them find it and kick me out forever. But I would hate to get denied because of something I did when I was 18.

Suggestions???
Feb 24, 2010 19:23
GUEST39208 Hey, I just posted that I am going on Friday for a tourist visa in China. After reading 19 pages, I think I am going to lie. I want to teach in China and I can't get a work visa anyway due to the NO criminal history rule. So I emailed my friend in Beijing and he said that technically you can't teach with a tourist visa, but everyone does.

Even though I want to tell the truth, it just seems better to lie. I will let you know how it went.
Feb 25, 2010 08:27
  • QUINNDOG88
where did my post go?
Feb 25, 2010 08:31
  • QUINNDOG88
Hi, I am from England. I plan to take a TEFL course after I graduate and teach English in China

I was cautioned for possesion of weed when i was 14, this has now been spent as I am 21.

However I have a court case coming In April where I am being wrongly charged for assault (which I did not commit) there is a fifty/fifty chance of conviction (hopefully honesty will prevail and I will not be convicted.)

Assuming the worst and I am convicted, will this stop me getting a working visa for China? If I can get the visa, will it stop me being able to teach in China?

I really need some advice on this so If anyone would be nice enough to reply it would be greatly appreciate. Even if you dont have any actual experience of this any opinions would be great.

Thanks.
Feb 25, 2010 15:09
GUEST34101 No record will be checked by any ambassy all over the world untill You will not get in to interpol or made hard crimes like killing , narcotics cartel , rape etc.... I was convicted ... 6 months in jail for putting someones sign in trade document... i signed for my girlfriend .. and the customs made it illegal ... been in court ... gave me 6 months jail spended for 2 years.... It was painful as im flying winemaker and wine merchant from Europe making around 23-28 per year international flights and uncountles of domestics. Through last 3 years i change my passport 5 times as it runs out of visa free pages ... travel to multiple points in the globe including China ... im always putting "NO" in the conviction questions.... never had any problems in any country ... even like in US, Canada , Ozzie , NZ.... I know that if You put "YES" in Canada or US it will denied entry on 80/100 % ...
Its Your call always....If You made any offence and declare it You have to be sure that they could chcek it...
Mar 1, 2010 20:18
GUEST87220 I think the all around answer here is loud and clear. You must lie. It is none of China's business anyways as long as you don't do anything wrong in China.
Mar 2, 2010 22:00
GUEST14243 Okay, here's a new one that I haven't seen posted. I was convicted several years ago of a MISDEMEANOR sex crime. I'm sorry ... I inappropriately touched an underage person (under 18). I admitted my mistake and I am remorseful and sorry for the actions that I took back then ... I have since changed my life around. As terrible as the offense sounds, it was minor in so far as sexual offenses are concerned and I did not serve any jail time ... rather I only served probation time which I am now free of. How should I answer the criminal question on the China Visa form? What are the risks if I answer no?
Mar 7, 2010 19:43
GUEST87220 what don't people understand? Just say "no"!!!!
Mar 9, 2010 18:49
GUESTGUEST39208 Hello, I am the guy that had a violent felony 20 years ago and lied on the application. I am currently sitting in jail awaiting execution......

No seriously, I just got it approved. It is an L visa with multiple entries for 12 months. So, basically, just lie. No one cares what your crime is, whether or not you are sorry, or who much you have changed. Just say "no" and have fun in China or say "yes" and go get some Chinese food cause that is the closest you will get!
Apr 2, 2010 02:10
GUESTBO GUEST87220 #177
Where did you apply? and how fast did u get it back after you have applied.

Hi, I am not sure if i have a criminal record or not, and should i click yes or no on the criminal record box.
Here is what i got from the court: "I respectfully move this court to discharge the defendant from probation for the following reasons: Discharge with improvement. The defendant is released from the status of Youthful Trainee underHYTA program and the case is dismissed. The record of arrest and discharge in this case shall be retainted as a NON PUBLIC RECORD according to law."

Thank you.
Page 18 of 47    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visa Application with Criminal Background
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code