Menu
Visa Application with Criminal Background
Apr 2, 2010 02:24
GUESTBO And has anyone lied about the criminal record and got denied?
Apr 2, 2010 23:14
GUEST87220 nobody has lied and got denied. but plenty of people have told the truth and been denied.
Apr 12, 2010 20:16
GUEST23051 do they do background checks for student visas for China?
Apr 13, 2010 20:34
GUEST32156 Interesting reading. I have been dating a girl from China (although she is now a Canadian citizen and will also need a Visa to return to China) and anticipate that I may end up travelling with her to China to visit her parents and sightsee.

My situation has an interesting twist. I had a criminal conviction for minor drug (marijuana) possession in 1989. I have since received a pardon so my record is essentially sealed. However, the US INS is aware of my record and I have a waiver of inadmissability that allows me to travel there (what a hassle). Each time I travel to the US I either have to obtain an I94 entry permit (typically good for 6 months) or show an exisiting one. When I get one of these I also get a stamp in my passport which lists some details about the I192 waiver and what section of the immigration code it waives, I think specifically enough to identify the crime.

My first instinct would be just to lie and say no to the question on the Chinese visa application, but the stamps in my passport may complicate this. I don't know how observant Chinese immigration officials are (at the consulate or the border), but they might notice these stamps which most people who have travelled to the US from Canada do not have in their passports and wonder what it's all about, and end up either denying my visa or denying me entry at customs.

I see 2 or 3 options: 1) Say no, use my existing passport, and take my chances. 2) Say no, obtain a new, fresh passport with no stamps and probably have no problem. 3) Say yes, hope that my visa app is not denied, and not have to worry about what's in my passport.

Thoughts? Comments
Apr 22, 2010 05:37
GUEST69219 just wondering, if you got a pardon it should pop up on the US database.. doesnt a pardon take your record out of hte computer and puts it in a different database which on one can find out. Usually all discharge matters can be pardoned after 1 if its absolute or 3 if its conditional in canada. did you go to the US within the years when u have the record on you staus without getting a pardon? if so it stays on the US record database for LIFE. US is different from most countries. When you commit a crime in the US, it doesnt matter how big or small it is, it stays on your record for as long as you live.. if your matter i think your okay, chinese dont really care about your matter, plus they cant find out since you hold a canadian passport. Just go get a new passport say you lost your old one with no stamps inside.
Apr 22, 2010 21:09
GUEST32156 Without getting into all the details, yes, the US INS is aware of my record, and nothing is ever going to change that now. So I have to get a waiver to travel there, which I've done, which means I also have the stamp in my passport where they atached the I94 entry pass.

It's hard to say - maybe the PRC won't care about my 20 year old minor criminal record which I've been pardoned for. But if they do, once I've told them they've probably got that info on permanent record, too. Or I can get a clean passport and tell them nothing about it, which is the safe and sure method, and probably the one I'll go with.
Jul 7, 2010 19:13
GUEST17399 I have a 16 year old felony for intent to deliver marijuana and have long since filled all my obligations. Can I visit China to meet a woman that I have been writing to, to concider marrage?
Jul 7, 2010 20:17
  • NANCYMOON
Guest17399, as you said, you have serious criminal background, you can not be permitted to enter China.
Jul 9, 2010 13:03
GUEST87220 As many people said, time and again here simply mark "no". Don't admit anything on paper. There is no checking. What is so hard for people to understand about this?
Jul 16, 2010 16:21
GUEST37139 Can you say if this worked for you?
Page 19 of 47    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visa Application with Criminal Background
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code