Menu
Which matters, good job or rich husband?
Sep 13, 2007 01:51
  • ICEBLUE
Yesterday, I have read a report from China Daily. The report titled as 'Job Important, But Rich Husband Will Do Nicely' states: having a good job is pretty important to many women - that is unless they can find a wealthy husband to look after them.

The report pointed that according to a recent survey of women in Guangdong Province, almost 50% would rather prefer marry a rich man than get a good job.

The survey also showed a large portion of l women still have the traditional idea of relying on their husbands after they have married.

Not only the less educated, but many well-educated Chinese women still hold this mentality. In China, there is prevalent idean among Chinese young ladies: " finding a good job is inferior to hunting a rich husband" or "Working well is inferior to marrying well"

This mentality reflects the prevalent "quick-to-rich"mindset among young Chinese. What do you think? Which mattters, good job or rich husband?

Sep 13, 2007 03:02
  • YVONNE
Women should be independent, not always relying on men. As a saying goes, if a man becomes rich, he will bcome bad. How can you make sure that your rich husband would not abandon you?
Sep 13, 2007 03:03
  • AL32
Hi ICEBLUE,

Well, I'm not Chinese and definately not a woman, so I won't try to talk for them.
But if I was asked the same question, I would say that I would not mind marrying a rich Chinese and depend on her. hehe!
In fact, this would be a dream for me! LOL!!! It would be the perfect of both worlds: if I could depend on my wife for everything monetary, I could then find my perfect job
and that would most probably be doing volontary work; something like helping the poor Chinese children.

I've been "rich" before, but not with the perfect women for me....
Now, I'm single and money is far from being the number one priority in my life.
You need a minimum of financial security yes, but I sometimes feel that (most of ) the Chinese people put WAY too much importance to it;
like it was the ONLY thing that matters... but I can be wrong on this one.
But starting next month; I will have the chance to verify this a little more as I'm leaving Canada to go teach English to young children (age 7-12) in China.
So maybe my opinion on Chinese relation with money will change....we'll see...!!!
...and who knows, I might also find a rich Chinese wife and my relation with money might also change!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, all I would like to say it that life is too short to worry about money too much.
The world, your world, is shrinking so go out and reach for it!!!
It's time that people take care of each other a little more and take care of the world (the environement) we live in for the shake of our children.

OK, I sound way to philosophic now, it's time for me to go sleep. (almost 4AM here...)
So I hope my reply 'kindda' makes sense to your question....

...and here's one more (last one, promise!) answer: good job, because in life, the only person you can really depend on is yourself (saddly)
and if money is that important to you, then get a rich job and a good husband...that will be much better than good job and/or rich husband.

;-P

Cheers!

/ AL

Sep 13, 2007 03:49
Can we choose both? Haha~ That will be perfect~
Sep 13, 2007 06:12
  • DODGER
I can only speak for myself on this one.
My Wife, who lives in Beijing, works very hard as a Yoga teacher there. Sometimes 7 days a week.
Every time that I travel to see her she insists that she pays for everthing.
So am I lucky in finding her?
It apears that I am.
Dodger.
Sep 13, 2007 06:16
  • LIONPOWER
I guess, rich woman did not run for job
Sep 14, 2007 04:11
  • LEOPOLD219
It is better to have both. That would be perfect. Why do we have to make a choice? Good job, rich husband, both matter. Why not let the two coexist? Hope there is no zero-sum game between the two party.
Sep 14, 2007 21:39
  • LKKNG
Al,

I like what you wrote. I hope you won't be only teaching the language there. I also hope you will find the perfect one across the ocean.

fellow Canuck from Hong Kong, lkkng.
Sep 15, 2007 18:29
GUEST12422 Al, you sound like a nice guy. Good luck, I hope you find a rich woman to support your volunteer work.

I wish I could find a rich man too, but we must be prepared for possibilites -- like husband losing job, unforseen accident, even divorce. It's better to have something to fall back on that no one can take away from you -- your education.

Sep 15, 2007 23:27
  • AL32
Thanks LKKNG. I don't have much more experience than you here in TCG (I registered just few days before you did) but welcome among us anyway.

Guest12422: Also thanks. I will not teach for free (although I made more than 10 times this salary before...) and I'm convince that these kids and all the new friends I'll make in PRC will bring much more than money can give. ;-) One of my favorite "plug" in a job interview (but I truely believe in this) is that the most important thing that all those years I spent at the university taught me is that I've learned there to learn.
If I can change the life of only one of my student for the best, it will already be a blessing to me...
One person cannot change the world, but anyone can change someone's world for the best. You should register here and share your thoughts with us. thanks again.

/ AL

Sep 18, 2007 22:26
  • SUNNYDREAM
Al32,

" If I can change the life of only one of my student for the best, it will already be a blessing to me...
One person cannot change the world, but anyone can change someone's world for the best"

Very well puts. Your idea is so inspiring. Welcome you to China ".I would not mind marrying a rich Chinese and depend on her. hehe!" Hope your dream come true soon. Find your rich "Miss Right" as early as possible.

I
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which matters, good job or rich husband?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code